Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to rent out my home

Options
  • 10-03-2010 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hi I want to rent out my house. I just want to cover the mortgage payments for a year or so until I know what to do (sell or not?) Can I just advertise in local newspaper, just want to know the ins and outs and what I have to do in order to rent it out to suitable tenants.. :confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

You need a BER cert for your property.
    You need to register any tenancy with the PRTB.
    You need to declare and pay tax on any rental income.
    You also have new obligations under the 2009 Housing Act (its now a landlord's responsibility to tend the gardens of a property- unless its vested in a Management Company etc)......

Average tenancies are now 7 months, and there can be months when the property might be vacant between tenancies.......

Its not as simple as boxing up your belongings and whacking an ad in the local newspaper........

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

smccarrick wrote: »
    You need a BER cert for your property.
    You need to register any tenancy with the PRTB.
    You need to declare and pay tax on any rental income.
    You also have new obligations under the 2009 Housing Act (its now a landlord's responsibility to tend the gardens of a property- unless its vested in a Management Company etc)......

Average tenancies are now 7 months, and there can be months when the property might be vacant between tenancies.......

Its not as simple as boxing up your belongings and whacking an ad in the local newspaper........

+1 this is the reason a lot of home owners will default in the coming year in my opinion but i can see its advantages. To both tenents and landlords.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Bubbles09

guess i won't be taking that road as i am young and that seems like too much responsibility to take on myself selling seems like the best option but will i have to apply for another mortgage and all that hassle again?:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

You apply for a mortgage when you are buying; not when selling.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

smccarrick wrote: »

Sorry to derail the thread, but is there somewhere I can read a breakdown of what this act means to landlord/tenants? I'm moving back to Ireland soon and will be looking for a rental and would like to know what changes have been made.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 el__duderino

Try the following for info:

http://www.prtb.ie/

http://www.irishlandlord.com/

Daft.ie is probably better than the local paper for advertising. Depending on the location and the price, you could be waiting a while as mentioned above.

You may get away without a BER... for the present.

Most important thing is getting the right tenant.

Good luck whatever you do...

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Bubbles09

I wanted to know if id have to apply for another mortgage because I would be looking to relocate in a different area I have been told that I can transfer my mortgage to another property providing I can sell the one I have at the moment and the new property is the same price range as the mortgage I was granted.. I'm so confused :(

Advertisement