Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help needed! PGCE not recognised in Ireland!

Options
  • 10-03-2010 5:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Few years ago I completed a UK PGCE while living in Dubai but it didn't come with Qualified Teacher Status. Now the Irish Teaching Council won't recognise this qualification until it is registered with the General Teaching Council of England, which means I have to live in ENgland for at least three months to teach and gain the QTS from there. I do have QTS with GTCE as I'm an Irish qualified Post-Primary teacher as well.

Can you please help me with finding out how to get the PGCE recognised in Ireland? Or if you have any other advice please feel free to let me know!

Many thanks

Olivia

PS I had a similar thread written through my husband's username but couldn't delete it. Please ignore. Thanks!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 lirva

A friend of mine had the same problem. She was unable to go to England to complete the 3 months that was required, so she has now started the Hibernan primary course here as she could not find any other solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Olig wrote: »
    Few years ago I completed a UK PGCE while living in Dubai but it didn't come with Qualified Teacher Status. Now the Irish Teaching Council won't recognise this qualification until it is registered with the General Teaching Council of England, which means I have to live in ENgland for at least three months to teach and gain the QTS from there. I do have QTS with GTCE as I'm an Irish qualified Post-Primary teacher as well.

Can you please help me with finding out how to get the PGCE recognised in Ireland? Or if you have any other advice please feel free to let me know!

Many thanks

Olivia

PS I had a similar thread written through my husband's username but couldn't delete it. Please ignore. Thanks!

I don't understand the problem. You say you're a qualified post primary teacher in Ireland so why do you need a qualification from the UK?

Why should the teaching council register you as a qualified teacher, when clearly you are not. You haven't met the requirements by teaching in the UK for three months, and if they haven't recognised your qualification what makes you think the Teaching Council should?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

This thread is from March this year. I think that we can safely say that the OP wont be back to read the replies.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement