Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another Traktor query.

Options
  • 10-03-2010 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭

Is there any workaround for the beatgridding in Traktor Pro when working with a tune that changes tempo?

Quite possible/likely that I'm doing something wrong but I've followed Ean Golden's tutorial and can't find anything extra in the manual. Using the beat tap just sets the tempo for the whole song based on the section you tap to. Stretching or moving the grid affects the whole track too.

Is there any way to sort of segment a track and have two or three different grids of different tempos? (Am I making any sense trying to explain this?)

Or will I have to try my hand at my own mapping to get finer pitch adjustment and pitch bends that I'm happy with?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭milltown

And another one:

Using the mapping from DJTT on the VCI100, the filter for each deck is mapped to the fourth EQ knob, which has a centre detent. For some reason, rather than having the left side of centre for low pass and the right for high pass (have I got the terminology right?), there's a full high to low span on each side. Centre position is off but as soon as it's turned left or right from there you're starting from full high pass or low pass.

This basically either halves the resolution of the knob, or doubles it's sensitivity, however you want to put it, making it near impossible to use smoothly.

I've looked at how it's configured in Traktor and it's not obvious to me how to go about changing it. Deck A for instance just seems to say it's mapped to Channel 1, CC 023, affected by modifier 4. No mention of a value range for the signal or what to do with those values (which is what I thought I would be looking to change). Can any of our resident MIDI experts give a brief, unbearded, tutorial on what I need to do? Or tell me why it's not possible to do what I want to do?

Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

milltown wrote: »
    Is there any workaround for the beatgridding in Traktor Pro when working with a tune that changes tempo?

Do you mean a track that drastically changes tempo? I know for tracks that go out of time in the middle and then back into the same tempo, you can just set another beatmarker on the new downbeat, and grid it again from there. This is great for tracks with long, messy breakdowns that go out of time. Have you checked the Traktor bible? There's a free chapter on beatgridding from it here.
    milltown wrote: »
    Using the mapping from DJTT on the VCI100, the filter for each deck is mapped to the fourth EQ knob, which has a centre detent. For some reason, rather than having the left side of centre for low pass and the right for high pass (have I got the terminology right?), there's a full high to low span on each side. Centre position is off but as soon as it's turned left or right from there you're starting from full high pass or low pass.

Don't know much about the VCI, but I'd start off by playing around with the filter options in the Traktor preferences, on one of the pages you can select whether it's a Xone type filter, or a few others. See if that helps.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Not sure if you can do this in Traktor, but I remember in the Torq 1.5 update they could handle tunes that changed bpm. I don't think I even have any tunes that change enough that would warrant me wanting to adjust the pitch so its never been an issue really...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭milltown

Well EG's "messy breakdown" is probably the best way to describe what I mean (thanks!). A couple of tracks that are contenders for the next mix I want to record fall into this category. I load them on a deck in Traktor, they get analysed and the grid is applied and all looks ok but during these breakdowns the grid disappears completely and even if the next track was synched (/awaits backlash from the vinyl crew) before the breakdown, the track doesn't (seem to) kick back in on the same timing. If I synch during the breakdown, it'll do it's best but after a short time the phase meter (is that what it's called?) starts hopping all over the place.

If I think of it the next time I'm messing about I'll make a note of what tracks behave like this. Maybe you'll have one of them and can see if it acts the same for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

In those kinds of tunes, the second part (which is out of time) is normally the same tempo as the first part, just the breakdown lasts an extra 1/4 of a beat or something. So just drop a second beat marker on the first beat after the breakdown, and it should be fine.

That free Traktor Bible beatgridding tutorial is great.

• Advertisement
Advertisement