Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer work expierence-how to get it?

Options
  • 10-03-2010 5:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭

Heya,
    I am a 3rd year biomedical science student at NUI Maynooth and am looking to get some summer research expierence in a lab. I have applied to all the EUREKA projects (very doubtful i'll get any! ) so i'm now looking for any sort of expierence i can get, wheter it be voluntary or whatnot. The trouble is, i don't know where to begin. Is it too late to get into a lab or are there people still willing to take people on?

Any info would be greatly appreciated =)
    Thanks ^^:D

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055781822

TBH send out as many emails as you can to ANY labs you can find. Paid experience will be hard to find, and you won't get any from the HSE or IBTS (hiring freeze is until Dec '10 at least...)

Ask your lecturers if they have funding for a lab aide for a summer on the projects they have. And even if they dont have funding, work for free for them, looks better on the CV than doing nothing at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭lockman

Tree wrote: »
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055781822

TBH send out as many emails as you can to ANY labs you can find. Paid experience will be hard to find, and you won't get any from the HSE or IBTS (hiring freeze is until Dec '10 at least...)

Ask your lecturers if they have funding for a lab aide for a summer on the projects they have. And even if they dont have funding, work for free for them, looks better on the CV than doing nothing at all.

+1 on what Tree has said. You will find it quite difficult to find paid work, in this day and age.

Asking lecturers/researchers in NUIM or elsewhere for some experience is about the best bet: it may be hard to swallow right now (i.e. unpaind labour) but in the long run, this will pay dividends.

Good lcuk

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭wayhey

Isn't there that BD place in Drogheda? They sponsored a CTYI course in DCU a few years ago, if you offer to work for free maybe they'll give you a stint?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭piby

You could try SFI as well. Through their EUREKA program they normally offer particular projects in various colleges around the country and you normally get a stipend of 300 euro a week. That's what most of the people in my class did in the summer after third year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

That's what I've applied for, but being a 1st year student I doubt I'll get it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement