Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Late Letting Out Cattle

Options
  • 10-03-2010 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭

Well how are ye fixed, I have no manure put out and there is no grass grown at all. I'd be shagged for feeding but for the fact that I didn't sell any hay this year but it could be tight yet.

Don't get me wrong I have the world of work done with dry days but it could do with softening out a bit

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭wiggy123

its a disaster of a year so far..normally have cows that calf out few days after calving..all still in @mo! and not great results--scours!
    so think--they'll be out the gate the wkend..feed bales of silage outside to them...no grass yet! no fert out...headaches...
    also buyin in bales at mo..€22 a bale, gd silage though!

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Pharaoh1

I just buy in a few cattle for the grazing season and was checking the diary last night.
    First group went out to grass on March 5th 2009 and on Feb 28th 2008 - just shows the difference the weather makes ( I'm in the midlands)

Still I've asked the guy who buys for me to look out for a few this week as I have enough grass for a few 300kg weanlings for 3-4 weeks along with a small bit of ration to settle them.
    I spread 1000 gals pig slurry about a month ago on the lighter covers and the whole lot got a little more than a half a bag of urea last saturday.
    Even though there is no real growth its amazing to see the difference in colour of the paddocks that got the slurry.
    The other thing is that the early closed paddocks have a lot of dead stuff which probably needs to be grazed off.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭eorna

my sheep with lambs at foot are in a snooker table, can't keep them in so might buy a few snooker queues, they might have bit of craic..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

starting to lamb next week, some fields locked up since oct all sheep in since mid dec ,have not fed meals on grass for years this year it will be meal and silage on grass ,very sorry i did not sow turnips.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

heavy rain and a rise in temp next week, hopefully growth will kick in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Figerty

Ye are talking about not having cattle out!!

It was the middle of May for the last two years here in the west clare before the cattle put their head down to a blade of grass!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭adne

Figerty wrote: »
    Ye are talking about not having cattle out!!

It was the middle of May for the last two years here in the west clare before the cattle put their head down to a blade of grass!!

Last week of April in the NW the last 2 Years....... Long may this weather remain :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭yessam

I find it great weather for lambing. No problem letting out lambs any morning.

Just the big problem is there is noting growing anywhere and there wont be much growing for a while.It's now 11th March and no fertilizer spread yet and this hard frost at night looks set for another week at least.
    It's an expensive year on feedstuffs. It's a tough year.

Advertisement