Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Westport or Castlebar?

Options
  • 10-03-2010 2:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Hi

I am from the southeast & am moving to Mayo in May as I have a job in Castlebar for 5 months. I am debating whether to live in Westport or Castlebar.

So far, my deliberations are:

Westport
    pros: beautiful scenery, more restaurants, close to sea
    cons: more expensive rent, daily commute to work

Castlebar
    pros: student vibe, cheap rent
    cons: not as pretty, less restaurants?

Are my pros and cons accurate? I am a 26 yr old female in case that influences what I would like. Which would you go for? Any advice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

sarahspud wrote: »
    Hi

I am from the southeast & am moving to Mayo in May as I have a job in Castlebar for 5 months. I am debating whether to live in Westport or Castlebar.

So far, my deliberations are:

Westport
    pros: beautiful scenery, more restaurants, close to sea
    cons: more expensive rent, daily commute to work

Castlebar
    pros: student vibe, cheap rent
    cons: not as pretty, less restaurants?

Are my pros and cons accurate? I am a 26 yr old female in case that influences what I would like. Which would you go for? Any advice?

I would much prefer to live in Westport. Lovely garrison town, near the sea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 trekaddict

having lived in Westport all my life, i can tell you now that it is a much nicer place than Castlebar not just for the food but the Railway walk is something else!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,976 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Westport.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

trekaddict wrote: »
    having lived in Westport all my life, i can tell you now that it is a much nicer place than Castlebar not just for the food but the Railway walk is something else!

Westport is lovely, don't know about the rent though. The railway walk is fabulous even if some people do not keep their dogs on a leash. That is annoying. As I said on an earlier topic, their restaurants are not as reasonable as they should be. They are more expensive than Galway at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 clo87

Westport, great town, nice atmosphere, decent pubs and restaurants, and close to the sea for nice walks. Good leisure centers too and also a cinema. Plus the commute to castlebar is not far. Good luck!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I've already handed out bans for inter-town slagging.
    Do promote your town but don't slag other towns please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭Elevator

I found Westport business owners to be a bit strange and stuck up to the point I hate going up there for work. Nice scenery is true but the people I have the misfortune of bumping into suck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Comrade C

Westport is a nicer place, but i find that castlebar ppl are nicer from past experiences! I say Castlebar myt be a bit longer lived than westport as its bigger and is quite eventful

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭Fatboydim

Hi Sarah

If you were to live in Westport and commute, it's fine by car - but if you had to bus it or take the train then I would suggest living in Castlebar would be the better option.

Oh and I live in Westport BTW.

As for elevator's comments I think he has a point. Because Castlebar is more of a working town it doesn't suffer from the "Families" impact quite as much as Westport does. There have been occasions where I've seen it at work in Westport and it does come across as a kind of snobbery, but on the other hand it also can work the other way too. As "Covies" could not have been made in any other town in Ireland. The support from the community was incredible.

It might help you to check out www.thecovies.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 sarahspud

Thanks for the info everyone, I think Ill settle in Westport as I love the sea, I appreciate your help!

• Advertisement
Advertisement