Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend me a new book

Options
  • 10-03-2010 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 28,799 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,

I need something new to read and when I wander around easons and the like, I can never decide on what's worth taking a chance on.

I mostly like ficton in the Tom Clancy vein (the Jack Ryan series, not the spinoffs) but his later books became predictable and I've been trying to find something in the same line to replace them.

I also like a book that'll take me a while to get through but yet be an enjoyable read - ie: something that I won't finish in a night or two.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Dennis Lehane has some cracking books out there, particularly the 'Kenzie-Gennaro' series of 5 books (A Drink Before The War, Darkness Take My Hand, Sacred, Gone Baby Gone and Prayers For Rain) and other good thriller/mystery novels like Mystic River and Shutter Island.

Irvine Welsh's Crime is another thoroughly excellent thriller/crime novel. Not written in the usual Welsh style, it is more straightforward and easier to read than some of his other works. But it is truly gripping and one of his better novels.

Last Light by Alex Scarrow is something of a cautionary environmental tale wrapped inside a thriller novel. It deals with a psuedo-Road Warrior tale where oil has evaporated and society slowly starts to unravel. While some of the plot was fairly unnecessary, it ripped along at a good pace and made for a thrilling read.

Infected and its sequel Contagious by Scott Sigler are also good reads for the action/thriller genre, with a splash of sci-fi added to the mix. Violent in the extreme, these two books tell the tale of an attempt by an unseen extraterrestrial force trying to take over the world (what else would they be at, sure?!) by using human hosts to do so. While I didn't think I'd enjoy them, I found them to be good reads, a bit silly, but overall quite good.

Hope this helps! Happy hunting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Just 2 that I finished recently, Resurrection Day by our own Glenn Meade very enjoyable read, more 24 than Tom Clancy though and is a few years old now, but still a great read.

And even older was the Bourne Trilogy , even if you have seen the movies the books are so much different and so enjoyable they are worth picking up.

Recently finished the Millennium Trilogy (Girl With The Dragon Tattoo), long winded but still loved them , worth reading before Hollywood get them, although they are not for every one.

Advertisement