Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christianity Week at NUI Maynooth (30th of March - 1st of April)

Options
  • 10-03-2010 12:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭

The Christian Union at NUI Maynooth are having their first Christianity Week on the theme "Back to Reality" from March 30th to the 1st of April this year. The following events are lined up.

Debate: "This house believes that one cannot be truly moral without God" - March 30th 7pm (John Hume Lecture Theatre 2, John Hume Building) organised jointly between the Christian Union and Maynooth LnD (Literary and Debating Society).
    Invited speakers: Dr. John Murray (IONA Institute for Religion and Society), Michael Nugent (Atheist Ireland)
    2 student speakers from the Christian Union and 2 student speakers from LnD will be speaking also. (Facebook event)

"What is truth, and where can I find it?" - March 31st 7pm (Student Common Room behind Arts Block)
    Invited speaker: Dr. Bryan Follis (ASC Belfast and author of "Truth with Love: The Apologetics of Francis Schaeffer") (Facebook event)

"Life in the Emergency Room - Finding hope in the midst of suffering" - April 1st (Hall F, Arts Block)
    Invited speaker: James Crookes (Brethren chaplain at Queens University) (Facebook event)

We would also value any prayer that you may have as we hope to share our vision with others on campus. It's coming quite close now, and we're excited to be a part of this.

I'd also ask your prayers to be with the Christian Unions at DIT, DBS, UCD, and TCD as they present the Mark Drama (90 minute dramatisation of Mark to their universities).

Let me know what you think about everything, and if you have any questions I'll be happy to deal with them.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Stephentlig

Jak, is it ecumenical in the sense that it will appeal to all Christians?

It looks a bit muddled to me and I'm trying to figure out what it is your saying or whats going on. perhaps you could make it a little clearer for me, forgive my ignorance.

God bless
    Stephen <3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Stephentlig: The CU is a multidenominational society. There are Christians of numerous different denominations in it from Catholic to Pentecostal. For this week, we have 1 RC moral theologian (Dr. John Murray), 1 CofI minister (Dr. Bryan Follis), and 1 Brethren elder / chaplain (James Crookes).

Sure I'll clear it up.

Basically, 3 days we are having 1 debate, and two speakers on issues that are very close to the theme of reality. The debate on March 30th is dealing with morality and where it comes from, the speaker on March 31st will be dealing with truth, and the speaker on April 1st will be dealing with suffering.

We want students to think about these questions with us as we organise these events.

In other universities in the Dublin area, they are preforming the Mark Drama which is an entire dramatisation of the Gospel of Mark which takes 90 minutes to perform for their fellow students to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Stephentlig

sounds fantastic, might consider putting the money aside to make the travel for it.

Pax Christi
    Stephen <3

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Well done, JA. Now if you could just move this to the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

Maybe the CS Lewis Lecture people could rerun the debate - this is aimed as business people

http://www.cslewislecture.ie/

• Advertisement
Advertisement