Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking @ ITB

Options
  • 09-03-2010 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

It seems like a common gripe, so I was shocked to see no thread about it! I drive a bike :D I think it's amazing clamping has been brought in, car park widened and still the same problem.... I feel the pain when my ears melt of my car driving friends :(

Nice to see more bicycle facilities, although CCTV for bikes would be nice. It probably all went wrong in late 90's when the college was put so far away from the shopping centre, it's not as easy to get too.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭KonFusion

WIth all the empty space up at B, makes no sense that they didn't expand the car park up there when B was in construction. Even throwing down some gravel would've done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

I wonder how many people have actually been clamped so far. It seems quite harsh to bring in clamping when parking facilities are so lacking and when there is probably more people in the college this year than in any year.

Luckily enough I dont have to drive. :) But I did notice how bad the parking was today with people having to take up "off road" driving to get a spot.
    It probably all went wrong in late 90's when the college was put so far away from the shopping centre, it's not as easy to get too.

How do you figure that? The centre is just up the road. 20min walk.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

• Registered Users Posts: 48 vinnyirl

Info and advice about ITB parking and clamping.

Car Parking Spaces:
    As a general rule, the more spaces you have the more spaces you will need. A lack of spaces encourages people to use alternative methods of transport.
    Car parks are very expensive, its a lot more than just a layer of tarmac and paint.

Here is an interesting thought. Public transport to the college is terrible, we all agree. If everyone drives to the college this remains the same. If more people start using the public transport system, private and public companies will come to transport :)

Clamping:
    The Students Union tried to get students together to fight, the students were not interested. As we looked into it closer we realized that many students were parking in terrible places when spaces are available just so they can get closer to a building. People were even parking on wheelchair access paths.

If you do not want to get clamped park on the grass before the first clamp sign. If your wheels touch a path or the road you can be clamped. do not park on the dam foot path, this should be common sense but some people! gaa never mind.

Stupid rumors:
    "The SU get money from the clamping" Don't be silly we don't
    "The college makes money from the clamping" Sort of true but not really, how do you think the new car park is being paid for.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭dueyfinster

kenon wrote: »
    How do you figure that? The centre is just up the road. 20min walk.

I mean in the sense the transport infrastructure could have been shared - buses would stop between the two, and it means it could be much more frequent etc. Having them 20mins apart and the centre needing a lot more buses means ITB is deprived of them.

Normally you find a spot, but if you dont you just go up to B block where there is nearly always spaces. Most people who park on grass see other cars there and dont bother going looking for a space well thats what I think.

Anytime I drive I have always gotten a space either in main car park or in B block.

One thing that really annoys me is when people make a bollocks of parking and take up two spaces!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭brendanL

I mean in the sense the transport infrastructure could have been shared - buses would stop between the two, and it means it could be much more frequent etc. Having them 20mins apart and the centre needing a lot more buses means ITB is deprived of them.

There was an bunch of Dublin bus people at a stand in the shopping centre yesterday talking about new proposed routes that the buses that service the shopping center will be following in a little while. The end result of their talk about how wonderful for the community they are is much more regular bus...the 270 heading from the centre to the college... which will be pretty handy

So are the getting rid of the Centre to Dunboyne route??

The 270 goes from Centre to Dunboyne.

So are the getting rid of the Centre to Dunboyne route??

The 270 goes from Centre to Dunboyne.

Nah the diagram showed, that it would continue onto a stop at the college as opposed to just turning around at the shopping centre and heading back to dunboyne.

heres the link from an email I just got with a diagram that makes it all clear ;)
    http://www.dublinbus.ie/PageFiles/5994/Blanchardstown%205.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Block G Raptor

brendanL wrote: »
    Nah the diagram showed, that it would continue onto a stop at the college as opposed to just turning around at the shopping centre and heading back to dunboyne.

heres the link from an email I just got with a diagram that makes it all clear ;)
    http://www.dublinbus.ie/PageFiles/5994/Blanchardstown%205.pdf

Yeah and they've dropped the 220 and 238 so the people of ladyswell/mullhuddart now have NO bus service to the Center or the College

Yeah and they've dropped the 220 and 238 so the people of ladyswell/mullhuddart now have NO bus service to the Center or the College

oh that's balls.... surely there not dropping the entire area? maybe they'll announce a new route to cover it.
    Although I just noticed the 270 is gonna be heading through mullhuddart so surely it can't be all that bad?

Oh and apologies for hijacking the thread ^^

Back on topic... I guess I agree with vinnyirl when it comes to how people park in the car park... I don't see any problem with the new clamping scheme...
    however parking in allocated spots is always so tight when everyone is in... sometimes the social care and apprentices are off on work experience and there's more parking than you can shake a stick out..however when everyone's back in.. its bonkers... also I can't wait to see what it's like next year 0_0 with even more students.

• Advertisement

brendanL wrote: »
    also I can't wait to see what it's like next year 0_0 with even more students.
    Not looking forward to that...!!

Advertisement