Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Keys won't turn in ignition, help please

Options
  • 09-03-2010 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Lost my only set of car keys so had to get a locksmith out to pick the lock and do me another key.
    There was no chip or immobiliser in the key
    I've been driving round in it the last 3 days, then this morning the key wouldn't turn in the ignition, tried WD40, turning steering wheel etc.
    I rang the locksmiths who said it was working ok when they cut the key but if i wanted i could collect another set from them, which i did and they won't turn either
    Any help much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Just have to ask, if the steering wheel lock is on or wheels on full lock left or right. Have you moved the wheel from side to side whilst turning key in ignition? What car is it btw?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Will they open the door locks for you?

Sometimes you need to wiggle the key up and down as you try to turn it. If it hasn't been cut perfectly or the tumblers in the lock are slightly worn this can get you going.

Make sure there is no pressure on the steering lock while you are doing this. This can be done by holding the steering wheel and twisting it slightly til you feel it move a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 cakesnjelly

The steering lock is on and the wheels are just slightly turned to the right.
    It's a Toyota Hilux 04
    Tried wiggling the key whilst holding the steering wheel and also turning it, the key will turn very slightly, maybe about 1 or 2 millimeters when i turn the wheel
    The door locks open smoothly
    Been at it for a few hours today and my finger and thumb are in bits

• Registered Users Posts: 10,487 ✭✭✭✭guil

is the key pushed in fully, try keepin a bit of pressure on it and try move it in or out a little bit

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

There may be burrs on the key from the cutter,they have a wheel for removing the burrs.Bring it back and get him to give it another run on it to smooth it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

Run over the key with a wire brush to clean off any rough edges, then stick it into the ignition, turn as far as it'll go and while trying to turn it, pull it out slightly. theres a nack to getting it to work but you should be able to do it.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 28 cakesnjelly

Thanks for all the tips, the locksmith came back out and after about 10-15 minutes he got it. He didn't know why it happened but cleaned out the barrell and the keys are working smoothly

Advertisement