Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Law ??

Options
  • 09-03-2010 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

:pac:Hi Im still in secondary school . .Thinking of doing law. . .What are yer opinions on the law school in Trinity? Are ye satisfied with the course? Im thinking of doing law and business. What are yer thoughts on this. Is TCD or UCD the place to do it?

All replies welcome! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

I'm doing the Master in Law (LL.M) in Trinity at the moment but did my undergrad in UCD in B&L, so I've seen and experienced both.

If you're interested in doing commercial law following college or like business at all, I'd recommend going to UCD for B&L as opposed to L&B in TCD.

B&L has got a very good reputation nationally and internationally and while TCD is great, and as a college has a great reputation, the new L&B course is only starting out. Our class got on really well and I really enjoyed the broad choice of subjects and how you could tailor what you wanted to work towards.

Generally, (I stress generally) the students in both law courses in TCD and UCD aren't as much 'fun' as B&L and even L&B students - this is what I was told from students who have studied both these courses and it's not conjecture. The classes are often very studious and competitive from the beginning and not good at getting together for class parties and nights out. It's just another thing to think about anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Tippgal93

Tanx 4 that. Id heard about the no fun bit in some law courses. Im slightly wooried about only keeping on law as Im not sure if Id be bored or not so I have been looking in to L&B and B&L in Trinity, ucd respectively.

Any more comments welcomed !! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Lol, well I'm a final year pure law student in TCD - can't say I agree about the no fun part. Seems like to me that those who want to go clubbing can do that with fellow law students and that we're all a friendly bunch. Personally I'm less into the drinking side of things and am involved in the sports clubs where you meet a range of people (Captain of one club and squad member of another club team...really eats into your free time!)

I know that you have the option of going abroad in UCD too but not aware of your options. I had an exchange programme in Emory Uni in the States, awesome year (40,000 dollar tuition for their "normal" students, we get in "free" ;) )

Depends on what you mean by boring I guess. I keep up with the business side on a lay person standard by reading the Economist etc. If you want to practise as a lawyer then I'd recommend law in Trinity (law and language can be fun too). In terms of worldwide recognition, Trinity is much more recognised than UCD so I would respectfully disagree with Jev/N in thinking that the BnL course would be held in overall higher regard than the L&B course in TCD - at least internationally (London, New York firms).

Feel free to ask more questions about the undergrad side of law.

Though...I feel it prudent to warn you that jobs are not all that freely available once you graduate. Many of my friends who graduated last year have emigrated - law firms during the boom years overextended and hired too many people, it has become a bigger squeeze now. So, if you haven't already, make sure that the legal/business career is one that you would be able to get into and enjoy doing.

But the course teaches you research skills that you can take into other professions - I had interests from accountancy/tax firms too but personally I'm hoping to go down the legal route.

Advertisement