Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone line and cat5 cable

Options
  • 09-03-2010 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭

(posted in satellite forum also, but may be more apt here)

Hi,

Almost ready to move into a new build. I have cat5 cables running from TV and other locations running back to a central location. Can I split the line/cable so that I can plug the sky box into the wall as well as getting LAN through to the internet-enabled TV? Or do I need the phoneline to be seperate?
    If not possible, is there a different/better way to do it? Might not get multiroom initially (although I have it at the moment), want to keep options open though.

No eircom line in yet.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭zeris

You can use the same CAT5 cable for ethernet and phone service and the CAT5 spec was designed for this in mind.

Wires 1,2,3 and 6 for data and wires 4 and 5 for voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

zeris wrote: »
    You can use the same CAT5 cable for ethernet and phone service and the CAT5 spec was designed for this in mind.

Wires 1,2,3 and 6 for data and wires 4 and 5 for voice.

Suspected as much but bit of a novice, thanks for the quick reply. So I'd split the cable into two as you say with individual ports (double-socket)?

Is this handled by one patch panel? Sorry for the basic questions, going to try this myself :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Here is a good link for the Cat5e.

I think I understand what you are trying to do. Never done it myself, can help you out in the where to place the phone connections on the Cat5e.

Cat5e, ST & CO Pinouts, with TX/RX Pairs
    http://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/ethernetcables.html

Just connect the phone threw the 'unused' wires, should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭zeris

If you have a double wall box you can split it into a RJ45 and RJ11 socket.

You can use RJ11 connecters in an RJ45 patch panel as long as your careful about lining up the pins. You may damage the outer pins on the patch panel socket but if your never going to use it for RJ45 that should be OK.

thanks guys, very helpful. I foresee endless hours of fun....

Regarding the patch, can I feed the LAN router and phoneline in the input side and the cat5s in the other, will this work?
    i.e., will the home network (internet-enabled tv for instance) 'find' the router cable and the same with the phoneline?

Hope this is making sense - the internet is seperate from the phoneline as I can't currently get adsl, I'll be relying on mobile broadband coming from upstairs (best reception) through a router and LAN.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,061 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

You need to treat them as separate cables in the same sleeve

Sky ==blue pair====\.................................. / ==blue pair===== Phone Line
    ............................>=======Cat5========<
    TV ==rest of cat5==/...................................\==rest of cat5== Router

(. are just for spaces, mean nothing)

If you need to you could hook connector and extra wire or something to the blue pair at the router side to get it the rest of the way to the phone line

EDIT:

Basically you need your blue pair to get to the phone box instead of going into the router (or a switch), it doesnt matter if it goes through a patch panel or extension cat5s first

You need to treat them as separate cables in the same sleeve

Sky ==blue pair====\.................................. / ==blue pair===== Phone Line
    ............................>=======Cat5========<
    TV ==rest of cat5==/...................................\==rest of cat5== Router

(. are just for spaces, mean nothing)

If you need to you could hook connector and extra wire or something to the blue pair at the router side to get it the rest of the way to the phone line

EDIT:

Basically you need your blue pair to get to the phone box instead of going into the router (or a switch), it doesnt matter if it goes through a patch panel or extension cat5s first

Thanks - that makes sense. Need to be there when eircom arrive I think.....

Advertisement