Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unable to install Microsoft Security Updates Vista

Options
  • 09-03-2010 3:12pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I wonder if anyone has any advice, I have Win Vista SP1 when i get asked to update to SP2 or any other security updates they download to the PC after the PC restarts and starts updating, after a while I get the message that updates could not be install and reverting back. When I check for new updates I can see that they still need to isntall them, I tried several times with same result.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

What are the error messages listed when you try to do an update?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭nava

What are the error messages listed when you try to do an update?

Hi Shane

There's no errors, after it reboots to finish installing I get the message somehting like "updates couldnot be completed, reverting back" and after a while it reboots into windows, but none of the updates are installed.

Have you installed all other updates first?

Have you tried the Standalone SP2. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=a4dd31d5-f907-4406-9012-a5c3199ea2b3&DisplayLang=en

Have you tried the Standalone SP2. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=a4dd31d5-f907-4406-9012-a5c3199ea2b3&DisplayLang=en

I only noticed the problem recently other updates in the past installed ok as far as I know, now I'm asking to install 9 updates or SP2. But not the updates or SP2 install.

I will try the manual update of SP2 when I get home later.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭macrubicon

You could have a corrupt update downloaded into your cache.

Try cleaning out the cache ( delete the contents of C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution ) and re-running updates again.

Might be no harm to download the standalone SP2 package, delete the cache and then run the SP2 installer - that way everything is nice and clean post SP2.

• Advertisement

macrubicon wrote: »
    You could have a corrupt update downloaded into your cache.

Try cleaning out the cache ( delete the contents of C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution ) and re-running updates again.

Might be no harm to download the standalone SP2 package, delete the cache and then run the SP2 installer - that way everything is nice and clean post SP2.

I was able to delete all folders except the file ReportingEvents.log

Thanks for the help tried both option above but they did not install the strange part was that for standard updates 2 out or 13 updates installed correctly the rest same issue on restart I get message below, same to install SP2 stand alone.

winu.jpg

Try

1. Put the Windows Vista installation disc in the disc drive, and then start the computer.
    2. Press a key when the message "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD …".
    3. Select a language, a time and currency, and a keyboard or input method, and then click Next.
    4. Click Repair your computer.
    5. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, choose the drive of your Windows installation and click Next
    6. At the System Recovery Options Dialog Box click on System Restore.
    7. Follow the System Restore Wizard as you normally would and choose the appropriate restore point.
    8. Click Finish to restore the system.

Got this off a post on MS Technet and seemed to work. However make sure you have a backup of your data.

You should be able to do the updates after that.

Shane

Try

1. Put the Windows Vista installation disc in the disc drive, and then start the computer.
    2. Press a key when the message "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD …".
    3. Select a language, a time and currency, and a keyboard or input method, and then click Next.
    4. Click Repair your computer.
    5. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, choose the drive of your Windows installation and click Next
    6. At the System Recovery Options Dialog Box click on System Restore.
    7. Follow the System Restore Wizard as you normally would and choose the appropriate restore point.
    8. Click Finish to restore the system.

Got this off a post on MS Technet and seemed to work. However make sure you have a backup of your data.

You should be able to do the updates after that.

Shane

Shane thanks for that will try over the weekend.

Advertisement