Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spinning Wheel

Options
  • 09-03-2010 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

I don't suppose anyone out there knows where I can get spare parts for my spinning wheel, do you?

I picked it up last year as a 'bargain' and promptly managed to break a fragile piece of bakelite or similar which was holding the spindle in place! I also need the belt that joins the wheel to the spindle and makes it spin!

Fingers crossed!

Polly:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭holly_johnson

Hi,

It depends on the brand of wheel, tbh.
    I know Craftspun in Johnstown, near Naas are Ashford wheel suppliers and they sell parts.
    Maybe contact them?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 pollypierce

Thanks for that I'd somehow forgotten all about Craftspun!
    I've sent them a nice e-mail and will look forward to hearing from them...

Regarding my query about spinning wheel spares I'm still waiting for a response from Craftspun but did find a gentleman called Johnny Shiels in Inishowen who makes spinning wheels!

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭duckling10

re spinning wheel parts,
    i think i met you at the RDS Knitting and Stitching show?
    do you have a photo or two of the part that broke off and the place it broke off from?

it is possible to make a replacement from leather for the part we discussed, that is what Johnny Shiels uses.
    for The drive band you can use strong kitchen cord or twine, but not too thick.
    I should post a few photos for you of the leather part and my drive band.

or we could email johnny and see if he can give you hints/ make a replacement piece for the flyer.
    Talk soon!

Hi duckling10!

I believe we had quite a chat at the RDS K&S Show! Thank you for your help and advice.

I've apologies for my tardiness. I've managed to unearth the spinning wheel and will get out there tomorrow to take some photos of the part I broke. I've got a ton of pics to take for another project so this is the ideal time on top of which I've actually had a go at drop spinning my blue roving, but I'm finding it so difficult! I'm wondering if it's due to the combination of it being dyed and scalded, rather than the raw fleece I worked with when I did the course with Suzanne? Of course my inexperience wouldn't help either...

I will get there though and I promise I'll get those pics taken asap now that I can access my wheel!

Thanks a million for getting in touch.

Polly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭duckling10

Hi Polly,
    I sent you a direct message with some photos of my wheel and I hope you got it.
    Let me know if I can help you more with the wheel
    Duckling

Advertisement