Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Removing old exhaust manifold.

• 09-03-2010 1:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 384 ✭✭

Hi Folks

I have a 1988 Mercedes 230E that has a crack in the exhaust manifold. Quite simply I want to remove the thing and get it repaired or replaced. So as many of you know the studs and nuts on a 22 year old manifold will be well seized up. I am worried that I may break or damage the studs when attempting to remove the nuts. Has anyone any experience or tips on how to approach this without ending up having to take off the head.
    The head gasket is fine and no need to take it off otherwise. Access is reasonably good to the bolts.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

Give them a licking of WD40 and go at them after 15mins with a socket (after wiping off the excess of course). Also, use a longer bar for the ratchet and keep a hand behind the head to keep it centered., avoid using spanners, particularly the ring end ones that only grip the corners of the nut. It should come off ok but if its really stubborn you'll probably have to get some heat on it to get it off. More often than not, they come off ok though. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

Masada wrote: »
    Give them a licking of WD40 and go at them after 15mins with a socket (after wiping off the excess of course). Also, use a longer bar for the ratchet and keep a hand behind the head to keep it centered., avoid using spanners, particularly the ring end ones that only grip the corners of the nut. It should come off ok but if its really stubborn you'll probably have to get some heat on it to get it off. More often than not, they come off ok though. :)

I've removed them with the above method. I've never broke a stud yet, even though I've removed one or two studs from the head, the nut was that tight.

I've always built up the pressure rather than shocking them, and have fun getting to the bottom ones.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 384 ✭✭Dermo123

Yep I figured all right it is just suck it and see. I will do a few photos even though it is minor enough project. Does anyone ever paint manifolds? Is there a paint with enough heat resistance to do the job? The engine bay would look a lot tidier and also I will paint the rusty air filter housing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭richardsheil

I wouldn't use WD40- it is not designed for the purpose.

Use Plus Gas. Can be got in Southiside motor factors and many others as far as I can tell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

I would recommend VHT paint if you want to paint parts of the engine. Some can be found here but most motor factors will also stock it

IN regards to the bolts, I would recommend a good penetrating oil like Clover Laser. Leave it to soak for a while before attempting to remove them. Failing that, heat would be the next option.

Best of luck OP, I hated doing these sort of jobs as there is always the risk of shearing a bolt. Drilling and tapping is a pain in the arse.

• Advertisement
Advertisement