Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sage

Options
  • 09-03-2010 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi All

Hope you are all well?

Just wondering if I could get some help regarding Sage? Have just purchased it, have it up and running but problem is, I don't know the first thing about using it!

Sage do offer support and training but at a very high cost that we cannot afford so I bought "Sage for Dummies" which has helped get me up and running, setting up Customers and Suppliers etc.

I have used other account packages before but only on the sales side of things. I now need to use Sage for Book Keeping so need to know how I go about that.

We are a service provider (shop fitting) so there is no product codes to be set up. Should there be codes set up for certain sales in order to run reports etc.? And if so, how do I go about assigning these codes to a service invoice????? This list is endless:confused::confused:

Sorry to be so vague about what I need to know but would appreciate any help at all:confused:

Only new to the site so be gentle!:o

Kildare78

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭censuspro

Kildare78 wrote: »
    Hi All

Hope you are all well?

Just wondering if I could get some help regarding Sage? Have just purchased it, have it up and running but problem is, I don't know the first thing about using it!

Sage do offer support and training but at a very high cost that we cannot afford so I bought "Sage for Dummies" which has helped get me up and running, setting up Customers and Suppliers etc.

I have used other account packages before but only on the sales side of things. I now need to use Sage for Book Keeping so need to know how I go about that.

We are a service provider (shop fitting) so there is no product codes to be set up. Should there be codes set up for certain sales in order to run reports etc.? And if so, how do I go about assigning these codes to a service invoice????? This list is endless:confused::confused:

Sorry to be so vague about what I need to know but would appreciate any help at all:confused:

Only new to the site so be gentle!:o

Kildare78

My advice would be to hire a book keeper or accountant. I dont know any accountants who try and do their own shop fittings, concentrate on what your good at.

However, if you tell me what sage poduct you bought might be able to answer your question. e.g. sage commercial, line 50, sage instant accounts??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭collegemum

Where in Kildare are you? I am up to my eyes at the min.. but could prob help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Kildare78

Cheers guys - I am in Kildare town.

I am using Sage Line 50 - went through the book a bit more yesterday and picked up another couple of things that I can do - we are hiring an accountant but I would like to know what to have ready for him etc - plus it's no harm knowing these things when you are running your own business! Also, when I "received payments" yesterday - they came off the amount owed by the customer but did not show up on a statement I ran - any ideas???

Kildare78

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Siogfinsceal

If its Line 50 or Instant Accounts you will have a demo company inside the product. Use that for learning on as if you make a mistake it will not mess up your accounts.

If you are selling services and not products as you are shop fitting then you can set up services on an accounts package and put those on invoices instead. You can print your invoices to send them to customers and then you can run reports on what services you sold. Some of the higher levels of Line 50 have a projects section which can be handy for tracking costs on a job to make sure you dont end up out of pocket

It could be worth getting someone to give you a hand just to get started and to maybe throw an eye over the books every few months to make sure evenything is in order

That's geat, thanks - the accountant that we are hiring is a good guy and I think I can rely on him for help too!

Have been playing around with the practice company this morning and it's helping.:D

Thanks again for the advice
    Kildare78

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

While I would never recommend someone to take out the SAGE tech support as it's way over priced in my opinion I think you should consider a training course.

You should be able to find one in your locality in a local college.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭DoMyBooks

smcgiff wrote: »
    While I would never recommend someone to take out the SAGE tech support as it's way over priced in my opinion I think you should consider a training course.

You should be able to find one in your locality in a local college.

Good luck

I agree with you its overpriced. But the advantage of sage being so big is that there's alternative support providers where you can get better service and big savings.

Hi

I have heard of Do My Books and they seem to be good but I have started the IATI coarse in Naas so it makes better sense to apply what i am learning there to what I need to do here!

I'll still need our accountant to sign off on everything and make sure it is all correct but at least I will be learning.

Kildare78

Hii All

Quick questions - I have received payments that have now come off my customers balance but when i run a statement, it does not show up - any ideas??

Kildare78

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Been a while since I used sage, but check the date the payment was applied and the date you are running your statement.

If you applied the payment post statement date the invoice(s) will still show up on the statement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Siogfinsceal

When you run a statement you can choose to show just the items that are outstanding or all items. If you choose outstanding only then it will not show you the payments that went against invoices it will just show you what they have yet to pay you

when you choose all items it will show everything that went on their account. So try running the statement again and make sure you tick the option for all items and see does that work.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 wandering monk

Try going into help and down to video tutorials, there are some video's there that may also help doing certain things on the package.

Best of luck

Cheers for all the advice everyone - had a half day's training this week and was worth it - feeling allot more confident with it now.

Still have a few bits to get sorted but don't think it will be as tough now that I know a little more about it!

Thanks again
    Kidlare78:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭maebee

I have a few customers who made one purchase, were invoiced and they paid in full. Their balances are nil and I want to delete them from my Customer List but I can't. I don't have sage open now but it gave 3 possible reasons - a balance may be remaining on the account (there isn't), there may be other transactions associated with the account(there isn't) and I can't remember the third.

Can anybody help please? Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Chevy RV

Hello Kildare 78,

Eventhough, these customers have paid you and owe nothing, you CANNOT delete the fact that there WAS a transaction in the past. This may be needed for reports later in the year etc. and for year end accounts. It is also an audit trail to prevent transactions being deleted either intentionally :confused: or unintentionally :P which is more likely with a new user.

The only time these customers will disappear is when / if you archive all the data after the year end routine is ran. Then, only the outstanding customer balances will show up in the new year.

Regards,

Chevy.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Mr Clonfadda

Hi Kildare 78

You can clear the audit trail to a certain date. if the date of transactions on the account are older than this date they should be removed and then the account can be deleted.

Transactions must be fully allocated, vat reconciled and Bank reconciled before they are cleared though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Fiona123456

Hi
    I am trying to run the RTD report but is says "No transactions Found"
    I have tried changing the date ect. but cannot get the report information
    Any ideas what I am doing wrong??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Nominal 814 is usually one of the trade creditors nominal. If you check the nominal details it may refer to a substitute code. Open your nominal ledger, select nominal 814 and click edit. Does it show 733 for the Then click advanced and is there a figure under substitute code?

Hi
    Are any of you using sage 50 2014 version?
    I am trying to do the RTD report & is says " No Transactions Found for this Period"
    I have tried changing dates ect but cannot get the report.
    Any help appreciated:)

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Mr Clonfadda

Hi Fiona.
    it is generally down to the vat code setup.
    if you go into Settings and configuration
    then click tax codes tab
    select a vat code & click edit
    in the resultant window in rate option on the right middle section this has to be selected for each VAT code before the RTD will work

• Advertisement

Mr Clonfadda,

Thanks so much for your help.
    It works perfect now.
    Really appreciate your advice,
    Fiona

Advertisement