Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

glow worm 18si.. gasbill through the roof

Options
  • 09-03-2010 9:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hiya, hope someone can help me here!

We just moved in a house and have a boiler now. Our gasbill is huge and dont understand what i'm doing wrong :( So I'm looking for tips and help to get my gasbill down.

The boiler is a Glow worm 18 si. We dont have it turned on upstairs, only the rad in the livingroom and kitchen. I do understand that we had a really cold winter, but it shouldnt be that much!

Help or info is much appreciated! Thank you, Patricia

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

It all depends on how much the gas bill is!! Also the age of the house (if it's insulated) if there are automatic external controls on the heating system, how long you have the heating on for and remember if you have no heating on in the other rooms the heat from the rooms there is heating on will also try to heat the colder rooms.

If there are controls on the system if the stat down stairs is in a room were the rad is not on it will be constantly calling for heat.

Can you give a bit more info?

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭skelly22

Don't forget to check if the bill is estimated also, one reading normally is and usually throws the bill way off. If you see the letter "E" beside either current of previous meter reading on the bill then it's an estimated bill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 misspuk

It's not an estimated bill, I checked that first :(

We're renting this house and moved in November. It's not too old and there is no thermostat where i can set the temperature, the house is insulated well. We need to turn it on on the boiler, i turn it on every morning to 2. I have set the rad in the kitchen and livingroom to 2 and all the other ones are off. I'm keeping all the doors closed so no heat can escape to the upstairs or hallway. I have no idea about controls on the system??

Our bill is appr. 160 euro per month. Which I think is much as a few years back we lived in an old house with no insulation and our bill was 160 every 2 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

Do you also have a gas fire in the living room? - they are notorious for running up large gas bills.

Yes, we do, but have never used it.

• Advertisement

Do You cook with gas?

You should also start ringing in your own gas meter readings, for a while and see if this makes a difference. I'm in my house nearly 5 years and they have never taken a meter reading. Got a gas bill for nearly €360 before and I rang in the meter reading before the next bill and I was in credit then by nearly €215

Yes we do cook with gas, but mostly use oven when cooking.

Will do the gas meter reading and give them a call, to see if it's the same!

Advertisement