Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I used to hate Jazz

Options
  • 09-03-2010 1:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭

I used to hate Jazz. Don't know why, I suppose it was because of it's "chaos" and lack of "rythm".. Now I am comortably sitting in my computer room, drinking red Bordeaux and I just can't imagine anything else than jazz in the background. No music else fits my 4 walls, red wine and 12:35 am... It's just class.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Welcome to the world of jazz !! :)

Glad you are enjoying it. I think a lot of people don't give it a chance at first, because it is not instantly accessible, which is a good thing IMO. I always regard jazz as being like one of those scrambled pictures with all the squiggly lines :D.. if you look for long enough, the picture begins to appear.

The word "Jazz" covers a multitude. Who are your favourite artists at the moment ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Dr_Phil

Rigsby wrote: »
    Welcome to the world of jazz !! :)

Glad you are enjoying it. I think a lot of people don't give it a chance at first, because it is not instantly accessible, which is a good thing IMO. I always regard jazz as being like one of those scrambled pictures with all the squiggly lines :D.. if you look for long enough, the picture begins to appear.

The word "Jazz" covers a multitude. Who are your favourite artists at the moment ?
    I'm not at the stage of having a favourite artist as of yet.. I rather listen the music as it goes and I am actually surprised that it can turn night into magic time and bring back memories and kind of specific atmosphere I wouldn't get anywhere else, if you know what I mean. It works only when the house is asleep, I can hear calm breaths of my wife and kid and then the music kicks off... It's so... private, personal experience. Wonderful.

Dr_Phil wrote: »
    I'm not at the stage of having a favourite artist as of yet.. I rather listen the music as it goes and I am actually surprised that it can turn night into magic time and bring back memories and kind of specific atmosphere I wouldn't get anywhere else, if you know what I mean. It works only when the house is asleep, I can hear calm breaths of my wife and kid and then the music kicks off... It's so... private, personal experience. Wonderful.

Yeah, I know what you mean. While jazz can be enjoyed at any time of day, night time is best IMO. Also, because it is (generally) instrumental, it leaves the mind free to interpret it as it sees fit. Vocals, on the other hand, usually set the atmosphere for you with a message or story.

Do you listen to the radio, or have you got some cd's, ipod, etc ?

Yeah, I know what you mean. While jazz can be enjoyed at any time of day, night time is best IMO. Also, because it is (generally) instrumental, it leaves the mind free to interpret it as it sees fit.
    Very true. Didn't realise that before to be honest :)
    Do you listen to the radio, or have you got some cd's, ipod, etc ?
    Radio, I usually surf the net without a purpose chilling out and endless wave is just what I need.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 43 Swing4

For me the best jazz is a Big Band, sorry my idiom, i´m from spain.
    Dr Phil drink spain red vine Ribera Del Duero :D

• Advertisement

Swing4 wrote: »
    Dr Phil drink spain red vine Ribera Del Duero :D
    Spanish wines are great indeed, however they do not contain as many antioxidants as the French ones.. Bordeaux in particular.

I'm not listening to anything tonight. Have to get more than 2 hours of sleep as I did last night :)

:D Then came before making salads with olive oil, to compensate and certainly equal to Bordeaux, ha haha, my rioja really do not like, but is exceptionally Ribera del Duero, Miles Kind of blues and a Ribera del Duero sleep like a baby. xD

:D Then came before making salads with olive oil, to compensate and certainly equal to Bordeaux, ha haha, my rioja really do not like, but is exceptionally Ribera del Duero, Miles Kind of blues and a Ribera del Duero sleep like a baby. xD
    When I used to live in Sicily I've learned how to prepare olives: pour some oil of olives over fresh, green olives, add a few fresh leaves of mint, a bit of a red onion and leave over night... Excellent with ham and baquettes next morning. I am Polish, so please - don't be sorry for your english ;)

Miles Kind of blues and a Ribera del Duero sleep like a baby. xD

+1 for "Kind of Blue" by Miles Davis (cant speak for the wine ! :D ). A beautiful and relaxing album (another would be his "In a Silent Way" album). Check them out on You Tube. Another artist you might like is Stan Getz.

+1 for "Kind of Blue" by Miles Davis (cant speak for the wine ! :D ). A beautiful and relaxing album (another would be his "In a Silent Way" album). Check them out on You Tube. Another artist you might like is Stan Getz.

For me though Miles was a great artist but he is too Relaxing, we know that treatment in successive Greek scales disks that are interesting studies on the concepts of harmonic, but I played the Drums, hahaah ... maybe I'm interested in that aspect only for the tuning.

Listen, I have a question, I soon go to Ireland to live and play, I have a doubt with phone numbers, can you give me an example of fixed telephone line and another from a cell phone to know what the difference ? Thks.

• Advertisement

For me though Miles was a great artist but he is too Relaxing, we know that treatment in successive Greek scales disks that are interesting studies on the concepts of harmonic, but I played the Drums, hahaah ... maybe I'm interested in that aspect only for the tuning.

Listen, I have a question, I soon go to Ireland to live and play, I have a doubt with phone numbers, can you give me an example of fixed telephone line and another from a cell phone to know what the difference ? Thks.

Not all Miles' stuff is laid back. "Bitches Brew" and "Jack Johnson" for example, while they have quiet passages, also have a lot of uptempo ones also.

I have P.M.'d you some info on Irish phone numbers.

Not all Miles' stuff is laid back. "Bitches Brew" and "Jack Johnson" for example, while they have quiet passages, also have a lot of uptempo ones also.

I have P.M.'d you some info on Irish phone numbers.

O yes, I Think it this... but not moving yours fingers with virtuosism, is a good trumpet and more in quiet times, maybe the best is this movement.
    Thks for PM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

I used to hate Jazz. Don't know why, I suppose it was because of it's "chaos" and lack of "rythm".. Now I am comortably sitting in my computer room, drinking red Bordeaux and I just can't imagine anything else than jazz in the background. No music else fits my 4 walls, red wine and 12:35 am... It's just class.

Welcome to the darkside. :D
    Check out Joshua Redman..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

+1 on Kind of Blue and In A Silent Way for relaxing stuff, my favourite 'relaxing' tune (from my limited knowledge! I came here to learn :)) is Naima by John Coltrane, off his Giant Steps album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I used to hate Jazz

I wish your user name was Johnny.

Advertisement