Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny Cat Laughs 2010 lineup revealed

Options
  • 09-03-2010 12:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭

3-7th June 2010

The season of comedy festival announcements has began with a bang today as Kilkenny unveiled a star-studded line-up of comedy talent.

Simon Amstell, Rich Hall and Dara O’Briain are among the comedy elite lined up for the Carlsberg Cat Laughs Comedy Festival which is set to take place between June 3 – 7.

Along with the headliners this years festival features a strong Irish line-up including Des Bishop, Neil Delamere, David O’Doherty, Ardal O’Hanlon, Barry Murphy, Colin Murphy and Dead Cat Bounce.

The international line-up includes Sarah Millican, Danny Bhoy, Tim Key, Kevin Bridges Arj Barker, and Justin Moorehouse.

The full line-up will be on the festival website tomorrow (Tuesday 9th) For details visit the website at: www.carlsbergcatlaughs.com

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 CR7

eth0_ wrote: »
    3-7th June 2010
    Simon Amstell, Rich Hall and Dara O’Briain are among the comedy elite lined up for the Carlsberg Cat Laughs Comedy Festival which is set to take place between June 3 – 7. ..

No mention of Dara O Briain in the lineup or day by day

http://www.carlsbergcatlaughs.com/events/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 janifor

Thanks for Sharing!
    Will check out for more information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Darragh

HN%20Cat%20Laughs%201.jpg

Heya folks, was at the launch of this yesterday. There's, eh, a lot in the programme this year! :-P

IMAG1036.jpg

So from the press release

The 16th annual Carlsberg Cat Laughs Festival will run for five days over the bank holiday weekend Thursday 3 - Monday 7 June, showcasing over 47 artists in 70 shows over 30 venues.

Artists include
    • Dara O Briain
    • Des Bishop
    • Eric Lalor
    • PJ Gallagher
    • Neil Delamere
    • David O' Doherty
    • Ardal O' Hanlon
    • Barry Murphy
    • Colin Murphy
    • Andrew Maxwell
    • Maeve Higgins
    • Dead Cat Bounce
    • Simon Amstell
    • Jon Richardston
    • Danny Bhoy
    • Sarah Millican
    • Tim Key
    • Idiot of Ants
    • Kevin Bridges
    • Micky Flanagan
    • Justin Moorhouse
    • Pajama Maen
    • Arj Barker
    • Tom Gleeson
    • Rich Hall
    • Mark Maron
    Attached are the PDFs of the programme and the schedule :) Website is http://www.carlsbergcatlaughs.com and they're on twitter at http://twitter.com/thecatlaughs

Full press release below:
    A CURIOUS COLLECTION OF COMEDY CATS

CARLSBERG CAT LAUGHS COMEDY FESTIVAL LAUNCHES THE 2010 PROGRAMME

Curiosity may have killed the cat, but that won’t be the case today when the Carlsberg Cat Laughs Comedy Festival launches its 2010 programme. With a fresh new lineup that boasts the very best of local comedy heroes and handpicked international stars from the UK, USA, Canada and Australia, the Carlsberg Cat Laughs Comedy Festival has the best Curious Collection of Comedy Cats around!

The 16th annual Carlsberg Cat Laughs Festival will run for five days over the Bank holiday weekend Thursday 3 – Monday 7 June, showcasing over 47 artists in 70 shows across 16 venues. With more than 20,000 tickets available, there will be a vast selection for new and seasoned comedy fans alike including a new brand new event - The Pursuit of Happiness – the Comedy Treasure Hunt! For full details on the lineup, tickets and venue information visit http://www.carlsbergcatlaughs. Tickets are on sale now!

The Carlsberg Cat Laughs is constantly evolving, ensuring we deliver the most original and best comedy out there. This year’s Festival highlights include:

Local Heroes:

Carlsberg Cat Laughs is thrilled to announce the return of Mock the Week star Dara O Briain and welcomes back Irish-American comedy superstar Des Bishop and the hilariously manic PJ Gallagher.

Star of The Republic of Telly, Neil Delamere returns for his 8th Cat Laughs Festival, as does the winner of the 2008 if.comedy Award David O’Doherty Frequent fliers to the Festival Ardal O’Hanlon, Barry Murphy and Colin Murphy return as well as Festival favourites Andrew Maxwell, Maeve Higgins and rock ‘n roll comedy supergroup, Dead Cat Bounce.

The British Are Coming:

With a proliferation of talent coming from the British Isles of late, the Carlsberg Cat Laughs Festival is getting its piece of the action. Multi award-winner and star of Never Mind the Buzzcocks, Simon Amstell will be gracing the Festival with his open, intelligent and highly provocative comedy. After his debut appearance at last year’s Festival, 2009 Edinburgh Award nominee and host of his own BBC Radio 6 Music Show, Jon Richardson is back, so too is the effortlessly funny Scottish pin up Danny Bhoy. The freakishly bold Sarah Millican will return with more glorious mumsy filth leading the way for Festival Debuts, Tim Key, Idiots of Ants, Kevin Bridges, Micky Flanagan and Justin Moorhouse.

Exotic Imports:

Straight from an incredible number of international award wins and sell out shows, the exciting Pajama Men from Albuquerque, New Mexico make their Festival Debut. Expect a hurricane of bizarre characters and split second character switches - when these guys perform their own solo shows on the 5th & 6th June.

Star of the HBO smash hit Flight of the Conchords, Arj Barker is back in Kilkenny straight from sell out tour of Australia. And speaking of Australia, high profile Aussie television star Tom Gleeson will inspire and delight over the weekend with his cool, calm and funny persona. The grouchy, deadpan comic genius Rich Hall will deliver more of his absurdist irony, and Mark Maron who debuted at the Festival in 2000 will be returning with his raw, honest and thought provoking comedy.

The Comedy Vault

A newbie for the Carlsberg Cat Laughs, The Comedy Vault is the brainchild of new Artistic Director, Rebecca Austin. Not for the fainthearted, the comedy vault will showcase the most innovative and wonderful acts around. Definitely for hardcore comedy lovers these artists with delight and intrigue!

Speaking at the launch, Rebecca Austin, Artistic Director for the festival said; “Carlsberg Cat Laughs fans trust the Festival to deliver the best Irish comedy alongside the cream of the international comedy crop. This year’s programme won’t disappoint, and I hope our ticket buyers will find some interesting new styles of comedy as well. I’m delighted to present 11 Festival debuts and of course welcome back the Festival favourites.”

Karen Murphy, Carlsberg Senior Brand Manager, added:
    “Carlsberg is thrilled to be associated with the Festival and we’re particularly pleased that comedians Jason Byrne, Neil Delamere and Karl Spain could join us for today’s launch. The Carlsberg Cat Laughs’s original comedy heritage makes it the perfect partner for Carlsberg, the original lager, and 2010 will see lots of new comedy and Carlsberg innovations combine to deliver probably the best comedy in the world!”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 CR7

Hi Darragh,

Thanks for the update, went straight on to it to snap up my tix - but site ticket shop crashed already!

Will keep trying.
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Well the ticketing site is back up now. Perhaps people saw the rip-off prices and decided against booking. 30 euro for an hour or an hour and twenty minute show with four comics?

Why don't they let each comic do their full show, like they do at most other comedy festivals?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

eth0_ wrote: »
    Why don't they let each comic do their full show, like they do at most other comedy festivals?

erm they dont at "other festivals" a festival like kilkennt you have to be invited to perform at, like montreal there are the gala shows with 4/5 comedians who do short sets each, that way you get your pick of the litter so to speak! there are certain comedians who will do a full hour show but not all of them!

a "festival" like edinburgh, you book your own show and turn up, no matter how good/sh!t you are hence why full shows are the norm!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 PatrickJos

A poor enough line up.The international line-up is very weak.I take it that is not the finished list?Some poor Irish comics as well.Neil Delamere is about as funny as boil on me ****.Maeve Higgins?Ardal o'Hanlon?Funny in Ted and that is about it.Will be giving Kilkenny a miss this year that is for sure.

erm they dont at "other festivals" a festival like kilkennt you have to be invited to perform at, like montreal there are the gala shows with 4/5 comedians who do short sets each, that way you get your pick of the litter so to speak! there are certain comedians who will do a full hour show but not all of them!

Ah I see. Never been to Kilkenny before. I can understand 'gala' shows (especially if they let the comics do their full show at another time slot) but 30 quid is a bit much for an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

Not quite as good as last year. But good enough to make the trip. Few more international names would be nice. Irish line up is good, but it's just the usual suspects.

I much prefer 4 comedians doing 20 minutes than full gigs. You can see full shows the whole year round. This is the kind of thing that makes festivals good. More chance of seeing people you wouldn't have known about before hand too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Eglinton

I've been to Kilkenny for the last four years. Had a great time each year but the combination of very poor line up and extortionate ticket prices mean I'll definitely give it a miss this year.

Last year I spent nearly €350 on tickets. That's a lot of shows not too mind the extra for accommodation, food and drink! Whilst I laughed a lot, there's much better value for money to be had in the likes of the Capital Comedy Club in Dublin. €7 for 3 hours of vs. €30 for 1 hour 15 for pretty much the same comedians. It's a no brainer.

For the first timer there's definitely a lot of good comedians to see in Kilkenny but for regular punters the poor choice, lack of major headliner and the price just mean it's not worth it.

However I'm sure the orange-faced ugg boot brigade will still enjoy it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

[QUOTE=Ro: maaan!;64833304I much prefer 4 comedians doing 20 minutes than full gigs. You can see full shows the whole year round. This is the kind of thing that makes festivals good. More chance of seeing people you wouldn't have known about before hand too.[/QUOTE]

yeah i agree with this, the KK fest has introduced me to a number of great comedians who (whom??) i probably wouldnt have seen otherwise like dave fulton, alun cochrane, Paula Bell, Michael Mcintyre (way before he hit the "mainstream") amongst many others!

Highly recommend seeing Tim Key, Jon Richardson, Pajama men and Kevin Bridges.

I can't believe Maeve Higgins and Ardal O'Hanlon are amongst the Irish contingent. They're really, really brutal.

Nah, Meave Higgins is deadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,791 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Ro: maaan! wrote: »
    Nah, Meave Higgins is deadly.

^^Seriously i know this is the humour forum so i take it that this was an attempt at being funny!!
    A woman who just says "like" every second word.....

mfceiling wrote: »
    ^^Seriously i know this is the humour forum so i take it that this was an attempt at being funny!!
    A woman who just says "like" every second word.....
    You're right. She couldn't possibly be funny while doing that.

Ro: maaan! wrote: »
    You're right. She couldn't possibly be funny while doing that.

Well, she's not funny so that wasn't a bad observation.

Advertisement