Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Vw Pasat tdi 07 Clutch / gearbox Noise

Options
  • 09-03-2010 12:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

Ive just bough a o7 Passat tdi 110Bhp

I have recently noticed a noise from the engine

It only happens when the engine is in idle, It goes away a second after throttle is applied and kicks in a second after throttle is released.
    It also goes away when the clutch is pressed

The engine rattles and does not run smooth when the clutch is released

All gears are changing fine and it drives fine

Any one share any similar experience

Thanks In Advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

Are you sure its the engine?

Is the noise only there when the clutch is not pressed? And does it go away when you press the clutch?

If so it may be your gearbox on the way out. I know someone who has a similar problem, 06 passat @ 65k.

Gearboxes for these are not cheap, about 2.5k from the dealers, you may be able to get yours refurbished for between €500-€1000.

Or so I hear :o

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭wicklow_hunter

''Is the noise only there when the clutch is not pressed? And does it go away when you press the clutch''?

Yes this is correct:(

Ive heard the six speed gear box gives trouble but not the five speed

Mine is the 5 speed...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Likely your dual mass flywheel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

''Is the noise only there when the clutch is not pressed? And does it go away when you press the clutch''?

It could well be in the box then. VAG boxes are soft as sh1t.

I paid a grand to get mine rebuilt with only 102k kms on it

There is only 85K Km on it ?

How can i tell if it is the Gearbox is the problem or the flywheel?

Will the engine need to be taken out to do the fly wheel or the Gearbox?:(

Thanks for your comments, Even if they are not so good....

• Advertisement

Just saw the engine rattle bit. Best bet is to bring it to a mechanic. Could wind up doing more damage than good driving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭ironderek

Your problem is the flywheel or release bearing. That typical problems for second hand TDI cars which traveled people who had no idea about driving a car with diesel engine. That not really big problem. If that the problem with flywheel cost is about +/- 280E for a part + job, if it's problem with release bearing part will cost you about +/- 60E + job.

Hi Iron Derek

Will diagnostics software diagnose the flywheel if damaged?

Can the release bearing be accessed easily to lubericate it?

Is this a sign of abuse from a rough driver :rolleyes:

Wouldn't the release bearing make noise when the clutch is pressed as opposed to at idle?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Hi Iron Derek

Will diagnostics software diagnose the flywheel if damaged?

Can the release bearing be accessed easily to lubericate it?

Is this a sign of abuse from a rough driver :rolleyes:

In answer to your questions:

1. Diagnostics wont tell you if the flywheel is damaged
    2. To get at the release bearing the box has to be moved back/removed
    3. Not really a sign of abuse more just wear and tear

The dual mass flywheel is a common problem in most VAG diesel cars with high mileage. There is a solid mass flywheel available that some people fit to them but I've heard mixed reports about them so Im not in a position to advise either way. Have a look at some of the VAG forums and ask the question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

Mine is the 5 speed...

The one that I know of is a five speed.

EPM wrote: »
    Wouldn't the release bearing make noise when the clutch is pressed as opposed to at idle?

Anyone know if there is any truth in this?
    Mine is only making noise when the clutch is Not being pressed and running at idle speed...

There is not diagnostics software, or tool for diagnose wlywheel or release bearing. The whole gearbox must be removed out, and then when you open it, you can exactly find out what is wrong. Usually when release bearing is gone, you can hear the noise around gearbox when the engine is in idle and the noise is only there when the clutch is not pressed. If the flywheel is gone, there is a lot noise around gearbox which sound like someone threw the screw into the mixer. In both cases the whole gearbox must be removed from the car, so the cost for the job should be the same, the only difference will be in part price, depends what went wrong.

ironderek wrote: »
    There is not diagnostics software, or tool for diagnose wlywheel or release bearing. The whole gearbox must be removed out, and then when you open it, you can exactly find out what is wrong. Usually when release bearing is gone, you can hear the noise around gearbox when the engine is in idle and the noise is only there when the clutch is not pressed. If the flywheel is gone, there is a lot noise around gearbox which sound like someone threw the screw into the mixer. In both cases the whole gearbox must be removed from the car, so the cost for the job should be the same, the only difference will be in part price, depends what went wrong.

The engine sounds very noisy alright - sounds like a bag of spanners when idle...

So my gearbox needs to be taken out:o

Next thing is to find a decent VW repair shop.

Doubt if i can afford to go to the main vw dealers...

Anyone know of someone 'good' who works on Vw's in the south east / Wexford area?

Thanks again to everyone who has helped ;)

Definitely must be taken out to fix the problem.
    The engine sounds very noisy alright - sounds like a bag of spanners when idle...
    Sounds for me like flywheel.
    Next thing is to find a decent VW repair shop
    , or decent car mechanic-will be cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Cocoon

It sounds like the DMF is gone alright, the release bearing would just make a whistling sound if worn.

If I were you id get the flywheel and clutch replaced asap. Its well known for DMF's to come apart and destroy starting motors if left and not replaced.

My advise would be to replace the whole kit while the gearbox is out and be done with it.

ironderek wrote: »
    Definitely must be taken out to fix the problem.
    Sounds for me like flywheel.
    , or decent car mechanic-will be cheaper.

PM Sent

• Registered Users Posts: 6 scubydu

Yes this is correct:(

Mine is the 5 speed...

Did you ever get sorted -bought one in carlow - same story Main dealer said it was clutch & Flywheel -wont honour warranty- how dd you get on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

scubydu wrote: »
    Did you ever get sorted -bought one in carlow - same story Main dealer said it was clutch & Flywheel -wont honour warranty- how dd you get on?

This thread is 2 years old and the poster probably wont see this. DMF and clutch are wear and tear items and will not be covered under warranty.

Advertisement