Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Latex and Bibtex problem?

Options
  • 08-03-2010 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭

I've two problems with latex at the moment. System in Snow Leopard and MacTex 2009.

First problem is that from the command line I can't run pdflatex to typeset it, The following comes up in the terminal,
    -bash: pdflatex: command not found

Also where does the .bib file go? I created it using bibDesk and just saved it into the same folder as my main.tex file. I read online that it's supposed to go into a ~/texmf folder in the library folder. However my ~/texmf folder is in a complete different path and is an alias folder.

Any help please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Search your document for "bash" - does LaTeX think that you're trying to use an unknown \bash command?

Your actual bibliography should go in the same folder as your .tex file. IIRC ~/texmf is a system directory, where you'd put the BiBTeX installation files.

Some people have overcome BiBTeX problems by naming the .bib file the same thing as the .tex file, so something like essay.tex and essay.bib. I've never had that problem myself so I'm not sure if that'll be any help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭ec18

no there's no bash in my tex document. Some of the .bib entries work but some don't. I'm running the pdflatex command in the in the .tex folder. And used Texshop to make the tex file.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

ec18 wrote: »
    no there's no bash in my tex document. Some of the .bib entries work but some don't. I'm running the pdflatex command in the in the .tex folder. And used Texshop to make the tex file.
    In the GUI,

picture.png

see the 'LaTeX' drop box? Make sure that's selected, then hit typeset. Then click on the 'LaTeX' drop box and click 'BibTeX'. Run typeset again. Then click on the drop box and reselect 'LaTeX'. Run 'typeset' once more. The .tex and .bib can be in any folder, as long as they're in the same folder.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭ec18

that worked thanks a mil :)

Advertisement