Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aboslute Rubbish?

Options
  • 08-03-2010 4:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭

Would Cecilia Ahern's novel 'P.S I Love You' been published,if her daddy (one of the most corrupt men in Irish politics 'Bertie Ahern') was not Taoiseach of Ireland?Apparently it is utter rubbish.

Opinions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

How would you explain Marian Keyes, Sheila Flangan et al being published then?
    Ahern is good at what she does, how can you criticise her if you haven't read her?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Answer: Probably.

She might have good ideas but I'd barely describe her as a writer. She can type.

I don't care if that is insulting either. There are far better writers of Chick Lit than Cecelia Ahern.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

Probably, she seems to be quite successful in the genre. Did it save her a two year wait in a slush pile because her father was Taoiseach? Most likely. But it's been very successful outside of Ireland, and I doubt the average American reader cares very much about Bertie.

It's a very specific genre, with a very well defined audience, where the fans know what they want, and it's not critic pleasing prose. The majority of reviews from readers have been positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

I would agree with buck65; you should at least read a book of hers. That way you will be better informed which will make your argument (if it doesn't change ;)) all the more convincing.

I'm reading this awful book at the moment, but I'm going to get all the way through it so that I can fully criticize it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

there is a market for books like that - otherwise they would not sell as many as they do :)

Not everyone wants to read James Joyce and stuff like that :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Squaw Crow

there is a market for books like that - otherwise they would not sell as many as they do :)

Not everyone wants to read James Joyce and stuff like that :)

Unfortunately i think you're right. It frankly drives me mad when the same story is repeated over and over and over again in chick lit. It only serves as a solidifier to patriarchy. There is no metaphor, no substance. Call me a snob, but I'd rather be called that than be called a consumer of this nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

There are shenanigans in every aspect of that book
    The plot is uncannily and extremely similar to that of a 1997 Korean film entitled The Letter.
    Nice big tax free lump sum paid upfront to the family, I'll say no more. For now.

Advertisement