Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is a Renault Kangoo 02 van classed as a car or commercial vehicle?

Options
  • 08-03-2010 3:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

I'm looking into road taxing a Renault Kangoo, like this one (but not this specific one!), for example:

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=182500&cat=all

Would I have to pay the €582 road tax on it (as it's 1870cc)? Or being that it's a technically a small van and not a car (though I'd be using it for private use) would it need taxing as a commercial vehicle..?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

It's a van, so it needs to be DOE tested, and can be taxed commercially by a private person. You'll need to find an insurer that will privately insure a commercial though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 ShowingTeeth

What is doe testing? Does that mean it's NOT nct'd? (New to all this, moved here from UK)... Is that cheaper in terms of taxation then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

The DOE test is the commercial equivalent of the NCT. Unlike the NCT which is every two years, the DOE is an annual test. You need a DOE cert to tax your van.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 ShowingTeeth

nipplenuts wrote: »
    The DOE test is the commercial equivalent of the NCT. Unlike the NCT which is every two years, the DOE is an annual test. You need a DOE cert to tax your van.

ok - but then do I still fall under the road tax price bracket? like for a 1870cc engine size, that would cost me €582 for a car. Is it the same for a little van?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Motor tax is the same, yes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement