Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Trial Approach to Quitting

Options
  • 08-03-2010 3:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi guys!

I'd like to share the approach I used to quit. The bottom line is, there are valid reasons not try to quit forever right in the beginning, but rather quit for predefined periods of time, which would then increase in length so one has the chance to experience the benefits of a smoke-free life.

For example, I first quit in September for only one week, after which I allowed myself to smoke. Then later on in November, I decided I'd quit for one month. This time it was much easier, and I only wanted to smoke when I was drinking, so not that often. Now I'm on my 6 month challenge, which started on January 1st and going strong.

Anyway, this drinking and smoking thing is still giving me a tough time, but I will figure this out too. Other than that, I might say that I don't have the desire to smoke anymore, no cravings. This is what this approach does for you:

a. When I decide to quit for a week/month, it is easier for me not to smoke, because I know I will be allowed to smoke again soon. You are released of the fear that you will have to endure misery forever, until you realize that you won’t be deprived of anything, that you’re actually gaining freedom, control, etc. This can be seen as a trial, to test the ground, to see how you will live and feel if you stop smoking, but knowing that you will have the freedom to smoke again without the burden of destroyed confidence of another failed attempt.

b. Most of the benefits of not smoking are only visible after some time i.e. I will not stop coughing the first day I stop smoking, and I will only start noticing the money saved after some time has passed, etc.

c. It allows YOU to convince YOURSELF of the benefits of a smoke-free life. This is in my opinion a very important issue for smokers. Most of them/us have long forgotten how wonderful it feels to live in a healthy body. Also people do not like to be convinced. Not even by the loved ones. They will accept to change, but only if it is their decision, not if they feel that they have been convinced.

Let me know how it goes if you decide to try this!!
    Tagged:

Advertisement