Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pregnancy bargains??

Options
  • 07-03-2010 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

does any one know where there are any shops or websites that have good bargains for all your pregnancy needs.... cots, strollers, car seats etc.:)

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

We bought near everything from kiddicare.com.
    Delivery to .ie is 20 pounds.
    We saved a fortune compared to prices here.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭garden

I did a massive price check at christmas when i was buying my stuff. I found Smyths sales could not be beater - got Britax Vigour buggy and britax car seat for E250.00!!! Angel monitor thing - E79.99 (its actually the same price in Tescos) and Chicco Easi Peasy changing unit is only E69.99 at the moment.

For everything else i used kiddicare.com, bottles, sterlisers, chicco polly high chair, breastpump - can i just mention that the isofix car seat base and the carrycot for the buggy was much cheaper on kiddisave.com site and there was something else cheaper on the bambino direct website - but Kiddicare do a 15% refund if you find something cheaper elsewhere and in fairness they did refund me back the difference.

I find the handiest way to price check is google "google uk products" and its then easy to price items. Also just to note a lot of smyths offers and products are not on the website so a trip to the store is the only way to check out their bargains.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭Swizzles

Garden i picked up that changing unit in Smyths too at 69.99 whereas in Mothercare they have one for 119.99(Not the same one but similiar)

Smyths were also cheaper for sterilisers and bottles a few weeks ago but i would say if you have some time left to wait ..Things seems to be getting cheaper and its defo worth a shop around :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31 phaidi

thanks guys il check it out:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

There are a few bargains in Tesco at the moment. There a tesco highchair for 39.99, basic side by side twin buggy for 24.99, travel cot 39.99, 6month plus recliner buggy for 39.99, little stroller in blue or pink for 19.99. Basic enough stuff, handy for extras for childminders relatives etc.

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.205-7253.aspx

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.206-8533.aspx

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.206-4923.aspx

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.203-0511.aspx

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.207-5444.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

I got my monitor with the breathing sensor, night light and room thermometer for 90 euro in TK Maxx! Same one was 150 euro in Mothercare.

I went to the Kiddicare shop place in England while I was over there and actually found them to be quite expensive!

We got a great deal on our Quinny from Pramworld.co.uk, but I know that they have gotten alot cheaper over here now too as my friend picked up the same package for pretty much the same as what we had paid for ours.

We got a lot from Mothercare as we had attended one of their info evenings and got a 10% discount card which saved us loads!

Borrow what you can from friends and family too if you can! Things like the baby bath and a moses basket. They cost a fortune for what they are and they get used for such a short period of time.

Don't go mad buying clothes either, just the essesntials. You'll find that you'll be given so much when the babs is born that half of it will only be worn once if at all!

I was told all of this but of course we didn't listen. I can see now that experienced mammies know best! Oh well :)

Happy Shopping :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ebmma

definitely don't buy too many clothes.

We didn't actually buy ANY clothes. I mean none at all. And there are 3 boxes of them sitting in the house from 0 to 12 months. All presents:D And we don't even have that many friends. People are surprisingly generous :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Have to agree with crazycat on TK Maxx, you'd be surprised at the gear they have - bouncers, sterilisers, grobags, maternity pillows. I didn't even know they did baby stuff!

I did a lot of looking on kiddicare and other websites and to be honest, the Irish retailers seem to be making a big effort to compete with the North and the net on sterling. I ended up buying my cot and buggy in a local shop after spending hours online.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Just a quick one on bottles, the avent are €16.99 in boots and €12 for the same one in tesco.. doesn't make sense!
    +1 on the borrrow as much as you can especially moses basket and baby bath, my lad is 9 weeks old and moving on up to the bigger bath and into the cot tonight!! :eek:
    Smyths are great too.. pricing the cot mattresses €39.99 (we got the lend of a cot) and the same in argos and mothercare were over the hundred mark.. it does pay to shop around but i wouldn't have too much before the baby comes just the essentials like the moses basket and a couple of vests and babygro's!! We didn't buy any clothes really and we did get loads.. but it was all 3-6 and 6-9 month stuff so we had to go get some things he'd fit in!! :D then my friend arrived with 2 huge bags of clothes that she had for her little man, so i'm sorted for the next year!!;)

cbyrd wrote: »
    Just a quick one on bottles, the avent are €16.99 in boots and €12 for the same one in tesco.. doesn't make sense!

+1 on the borrrow as much as you can especially moses basket and baby bath, my lad is 9 weeks old and moving on up to the bigger bath and into the cot tonight!! :eek:

Avent do 3 different quality of bottles. The most expensive are kinda gold/tea stained looking, the standard are clear and the cheapest are a bit kinda milky/cloudy looking. We have found that the most expensive ones are useless and leak all the time! They aren't even being used anymore they're that bad!

Megan was only in her crib for just under 6 weeks. Fortunately my SIL is expecting so she'll be borrowing it. I feel like things were less of a waste of money if I can lend them to someone! If I'd known then what I know now (that I was having a giant baby!) I would've bypassed the crib alltogether and gone straight for the cot!

Just to add to the baby bargains thing, there is a place on the Murrough in Wicklow Town called Baby Care which do reasonably priced stuff and are always having half price sales. I don't know if they have a website or not but if they are local to you it might be worth a look!

• Advertisement

Baby care do have a website!

http://babycareinternational.com/

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

phaidi wrote: »
    does any one know where there are any shops or websites that have good bargains for all your pregnancy needs.... cots, strollers, car seats etc.:)

Some of the Byrnes World of Wonder stores are closing down and have great bargains in their nursery section.
    My sister picked up a Cossatto Changing unit reduced from €200 to €70 :D

I had most of my stuff bought a few months ago so didn't look at much else though everything is reduced down in the closing stores (Waterford & Kilkenny are the 2 I know of, not sure where their other stores are)

I got beautiful crochet blankets on www.etsy.com ($15 + $10 shipping)

Michael Guineys are great for cheap cellular blankets and sheets

Lidl were doing car seats 2 weeks ago for €45

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Moylaragh

Save yourself alot of hassle and just buy the NUK bottles.

Go up North to get all baby equipment. Mothercare UK does not compete nor compare to Mothercare IRL.

Start buying formula, wipes, creams etc when you see them on deal.

Good Luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭themysteriouson

Theres always buy one get one free offers in the supermarkets on baby products so it is good to have the basics in advance like baby bath and shampoo. you'll go through alot of baby wipes so if you see them reduced buy them.
    Kiddicare are good for travel cots & highchairs etc...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Ebay is great too.
    There are some great shops there.
    As far as bottles go the tommee tippee anti colic + are excellent when they are very young.
    We found them a lot better then the Advent ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

I'm currently not working and what I done was write down everything I needed(right down to sudocream and vaseline lol) and put it on a spreadsheet. Then I went online and checked out Tesco for toiletries, Smyths, Mothercare, Kiddicare etc. Wrote the prices in the columns beside it. Also check out the English websites to see if its cheaper up north

Then printed this out went around to various shops and checked out special offers that were on and also just prices they were charging this meant that for every item I new which place was the best to buy it at. As found some places charged mad money for extras like a mattress when buying cot.

Reckon I saved a good few 100 by doing this. It was time consuming and a bit of work but it felt good knowing that I was not getting ripped off and also I was able to buy everything just as cheap down south as up the north, so felt like I was doing my bit for recession lol

• Registered Users Posts: 31 phaidi

bulmersgal wrote: »
    I'm currently not working and what I done was write down everything I needed(right down to sudocream and vaseline lol) and put it on a spreadsheet. Then I went online and checked out Tesco for toiletries, Smyths, Mothercare, Kiddicare etc. Wrote the prices in the columns beside it. Also check out the English websites to see if its cheaper up north

Then printed this out went around to various shops and checked out special offers that were on and also just prices they were charging this meant that for every item I new which place was the best to buy it at. As found some places charged mad money for extras like a mattress when buying cot.

Reckon I saved a good few 100 by doing this. It was time consuming and a bit of work but it felt good knowing that I was not getting ripped off and also I was able to buy everything just as cheap down south as up the north, so felt like I was doing my bit for recession lol

thats a very good idea thanks very much

Pity we can't do a swap shop here for the things we don't need anymore, like moses baskets and baths, babygros and stuff..

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭ani_mal

cbyrd wrote: »
    Pity we can't do a swap shop here for the things we don't need anymore, like moses baskets and baths, babygros and stuff..

I reckon you can do it on adverts.ie :)

however I got loads of items on gumtree.ie :) very good conditions, sometimes even new things.
    I got brand new breast pump for 50E, 5 bags of baby clothes for 50E (around 130 items)
    changing unit for 40E
    baby cot for 50E (but need new mattress)
    bouncing chair for 20E, buggy on eBay for 36E :) everything is washed and spotless.

you can save loads of money, and need to remember that some of the items are gonna be used few times. to my opinion no need to spend so much money.

I was just shocked with baby bags prices.. 50E in the shop the cheapest.. funny price for me. maybe it is made of gold?

I agree ani_mal, most of my baby stuff I either bought or sourced online.
    I didn't have the patience towards the end of my pregnancy for going to the shops between working full time and being heavily pregnant.
    I did the same as you, got a lovely Quinny buggy on adverts.ie for €150, a beautiful mahogany cot from add.ie for €200 (original retail on it is €1600 :eek:), a big box of clothes from America (ebay) for €100.

Like you said, baby stuff like clothes are only really used a handful of times so once looked after they're like new.

I agree that the baby bag prices are mad, I absolutely love the 'yummy mummy' & 'Ju ju' bags they're gorgeous, I just couldn't justify the €70+ price tag!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

I agree ani_mal, most of my baby stuff I either bought or sourced online.
    I didn't have the patience towards the end of my pregnancy for going to the shops between working full time and being heavily pregnant.
    I did the same as you, got a lovely Quinny buggy on adverts.ie for €150, a beautiful mahogany cot from add.ie for €200 (original retail on it is €1600 :eek:), a big box of clothes from America (ebay) for €100.

Like you said, baby stuff like clothes are only really used a handful of times so once looked after they're like new.

I agree that the baby bag prices are mad, I absolutely love the 'yummy mummy' & 'Ju ju' bags they're gorgeous, I just couldn't justify the €70+ price tag!

Oh my god, your cot was only €200 it's flippin gorgeous!

Was in Penneys Blanchardstown yesterday and they had night dresses for €2, great for labour! If they get ruined just throw them out afterwards!

Oh my god, your cot was only €200 it's flippin gorgeous!

Was in Penneys Blanchardstown yesterday and they had night dresses for €2, great for labour! If they get ruined just throw them out afterwards!

that's a great price. but for breastfeeding you need night dress with good V-neck or with buttons. I do not recommend buying one without it and then pull it all the way up for feeding :) (when you breastfeed)

Thanks Adrienne, twas a bargain alright :)

This website does great breastfeeding acessories & sells the 'Hot Milk' range of PJ's much cheaper than over here (even when you include shipping!)

http://www.breastmates.co.nz/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

ani_mal wrote: »
    that's a great price. but for breastfeeding you need night dress with good V-neck or with buttons. I do not recommend buying one without it and then pull it all the way up for feeding :) (when you breastfeed)

Penneys have ones with the v-neck and the buttons! I got two for £7 in Dunnes last week, presume they have them in the south too.

Oh, and Dunnes have lovely soft cellular blankets for €8 (I think).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭Swizzles

Deemark,I think i may have got the same ones in dunnes they were E4 each.Had a load of buttons down the front,I got a few sizes too big for comfort so the buttons come down to my belly :D.Their not very pretty but theyll do the job just fine and at that price can be thrown out instead of washed... as my mam would say .."Tis not a fashion show your going to":rolleyes:)

Today I went to Ratoath Fairy house market, and I got pram/buggy umbrella for 5 Euro (in mothercare the same are for 20Euro on sale now)

I also got there new buggy bag!! for 8Euro.

now and then I find something. like this cellular blanket and some other stuff for baby in charity shop, brand new!! some clothes from next, some from M&S or mamas&papas..

just browse here and there :)

I'm missing now a good baby bath (was looking for one with changing unit but the plastic shaky ones are not convincing for me)

maybe anyone has proper one for sale?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

I don't have a changing unit one but I do have one of those plastic ones that you can use on a counter/table, let me know if you want it :)

Not a bargain as such but if anyone needs a christening dress, a friend gave me a little white dress with little bloomers under it & matching hat.
    Its size 0 - 3 months. If anyone is interesyed in it they're welcome to it for free, just let me know & I'll bring it to the bumps & babies meet next week.

Its a gorgeous little dress & I'd hate to see it go to waste but I already have a christening dress bought for my little lady.
    I'll attach a pic in a few mins when I find the camera :)

ani_mal wrote: »
    i found ordinary pj's were great..less exposure for the shy as no-one can see anything except the top of the baba's head ;)

• Advertisement

Pics of the dress...

113334.jpg

113333.jpg
    113332.jpg

Advertisement