Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Get credit card while on social welfare?

Options
  • 07-03-2010 11:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

Can you? Overdrafts or loans even?

Thanks in advance..

Comments

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,909 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

In most cases, no you can't. You need to have a regular income in order to obtain credit facilities, but welfare payments generally won't be taken into consideration. I've never heard of a loan, credit card or overdraft being given to someone on social welfare. Not trying to be harsh, and I don't know the details of your situation, but the social welfare payments are little enough a week, most people I know who are receiving them have barely enough to make ends meet with food and bills etc, let alone paying credit card balances, and making loan repayments.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jet Black

I would say your best bet at attaining a form of credit is to save at the credit union. Whatever you have left from your payments put it an account there. Not sure if they will lend though but at least you will have something if the money is ever needed.
    Banks wont give credit as social welfare payments are only for cost of living.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Formal shorts

Several banks/institutions will accept social welfare payments as acceptable income for credit cards, but not for any other kind of facility.

Awful, awful set up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Derekjames

I would suggest if you are on social welfare to stay away altogether from Credit Cards dont know your personal situation but the temptation would be to pay by cc and payback later difficult on social welfare money it is so small,

I personally think Credit Cards should be banned as knocked up a lot of debt myself on one a few years back in the good times all paid back now thankfully but I aint a fan of credit cards anymore once bitten twice shy a costly lesson for me.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭chasm

PyroniC wrote: »

Thanks in advance..

Not sure about credit cards, but i have taken out loans in the past with aib whilst receiving a SW payment, only ever for 2-3 grand though. Having said that i have had an account with them for over 20 years, it will ultimately come down to your ability to pay.

I would second the staying away from credit cards thing tbh, and go with the idea of a credit union account.

If you do decide to go for a loan, don't overstretch yourself on the repayments, when i took out my loan i knew i could probably pay it back in 1 year but decided to pay it over 2 instead as i knew that the amount i had to pay back each week was easily managable if my circumstances took a turn for the worse. Thats just my own personal opinion, im sure others may disagree.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭J_Wholesale

Derekjames wrote: »
    I would suggest if you are on social welfare to stay away altogether from Credit Cards dont know your personal situation but the temptation would be to pay by cc and payback later difficult on social welfare money it is so small,

I personally think Credit Cards should be banned as knocked up a lot of debt myself on one a few years back in the good times all paid back now thankfully but I aint a fan of credit cards anymore once bitten twice shy a costly lesson for me.:)

A good argument could be made in favour of credit cards for people on low incomes. Virtually everything can be bought cheaper online, even if you're buying from a website in the UK who then have to ship to Ireland. To do this you need either a credit card, or a debit card that is not an Irish laser card.

By limiting the access of low income people to credit cards, even credit cards with very low limits, these same low income people are forced to spend more than their more well off neighbours for the same goods.

It's one of the worst low income traps. The less money you have, the more expensive things are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gpjordanf1

PyroniC wrote: »

Thanks in advance..

Hey OP

This web site was recommended on the Matt Cooper show "The Last Word".

Its a credit card that you top up, you can do it through your online bank account or in branch, free of charge.
    They said it can be used with Ryanair without incurring extra charges, whatever thats about.

So if you cant spend what you haven't got, I think they are a brilliant idea.

https://www.neteller.com/home/index.jsf

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

gpjordanf1 wrote: »
    Hey OP

This web site was recommended on the Matt Cooper show "The Last Word".

Its a credit card that you top up, you can do it through your online bank account or in branch, free of charge.[/url]

I think the OP is looking for the credit facility, rather than just the ability to buy ryanair flights etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gpjordanf1

eth0_ wrote: »
    I think the OP is looking for the credit facility, rather than just the ability to buy ryanair flights etc.

The OP is looking for Credit card info too, and this top up one is the best available ATM.
    And having looked into why the Ryanair flight info was important I found this info.

Becuase people can buy top up gift cards that you can buy stuff online including Ryanair flights but these incurr a €5 per person each way on flights which can be expensive. So for a family of 4 this could be an extra €40 per booking.

If it's not useful to the OP hopefully it will be to someone in the same situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Ah ok. Yes, Neteller are great - i've got one of their cards myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

My daughter has a credit card with the bank that's withdrawing from Ireland. She has applied to another bank but they refused her a credit card despite her many years of good credit history just because she is unemployed at present - are all banks taking this approach to people?

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,909 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Well before they give credit, they're going to want to know for sure if you can pay it back. You could have a spotless history, but if you've no means to repay any borrowings, then they're not going to lend to you.

Advertisement