Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heading to France

Options
  • 07-03-2010 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Going to France June 29th for 17 days Rosslare to Cherbourg. I have 2 children age 8 and 12. Anybody got any ideas where we should go in Normandy and Brittany for a nice holiday. Would I need to pre book campsites for this time of year. I have camping card ASCI 2010 book + All the Aires France and Alan Rogers France 2009.

Thanks in advance !!! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Camdec

Des32 wrote: »
    Going to France June 29th for 17 days Rosslare to Cherbourg. I have 2 children age 8 and 12. Anybody got any ideas where we should go in Normandy and Brittany for a nice holiday. Would I need to pre book campsites for this time of year. I have camping card ASCI 2010 book + All the Aires France and Alan Rogers France 2009.

Thanks in advance !!! :)
    Well if in Normandy you should go to see Mont St. Michel, a bit like our Rock of Cashel! Aire right beside it and I think there is another one in the area as well. Small charge for overnighting but as far as I remember not too much facilities there. Mont St. Michel is really nice, plenty of shopping and restaurants, shops selling local goods, etc. Suppose a must also would be the beaches where the allied forces landed and the museums that go with it. In Brittany St. Malo is worth a visit with a beach right beside the city (charming city). But why not drive on to Paris for Disneyland with the kids. You can park right beside it with some limited facilities and there is also a train station which will take you right into the centre of Paris. No need to book campsites at this time of year and there's plenty of them which would love the business. Will post again, gotta get 2 bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

Mont St. Michel is a nice place alright, not far from there is Campsites Le Domaine des Orme(www.lesormes.co.uk) which has lots of activities for the kids.
    Further south on the coast is www.camping-boutinardiere.co.uk which is another excellent site next to a stunning coastline.

http://www.lecormoran.com/ is another lovely site on the beech in Normandy well worth checking out. While in Normandy you should check out all the various landing sites and museums which are all well worth a visit.

Things get busy in France around mid July so booking in advance may not be necessary but recommended at the good sites. Try get to a nice coastal village for Bastille Day (July 14th) for the many excellent fireworks displays all along the coast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Check the history books and find out what dates the towns along your route were liberated. There are usually local festivities which are often worth seeing on the anniversary of their iberation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

As Stapler said Domaines Des Ormes is great for kids. Its a big(huge) site and you can normally get in there anytime. The facilities ae great.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Camdec

Back again . . . Brittany is nice. A very good site there is Le Ty Nadan nearby to towns Locunole and Quimperle. It is a bit expensive but it's worth it if with young children or teenagers, with plenty to do. River runs through site with organised kayaking. Also has plenty of security at night. So good we paid a return visit there some years ago. I have heard people say Brittany is very expensive but I didn't notice that. The French sales start in July - lots of bargains to be had if you like shopping. Brest is another nice city with a fine aquarium there. We stayed inland and on the coast and just happened to stop when we liked the look of a place or got tired. Get to campsites before 7 or 8 pm or you might find they are closed for business for the night. More anon.

• Advertisement
Advertisement