Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kaleidoscope nights

Options
  • 07-03-2010 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Here is something that I stumbled upon a month or two ago that should of interest of all classical enthusiasts.
    Kaleidoscope Nights happens on the first Tuesday of every month in the Odessa club in Dublin. It is night of music curated by cellist Kate Ellis and violinist Cliodhna Ryan. The idea is to take classical music out of the concert hall and place it in a more informal setting, i.e. in a bar.
    The programme each month is both varied and adventurous. Generally there are about five pieces on the night. These can range from classical favourites to contemporary composition, jazz, electronica, improvisation, Irish and other traditional, avant-garde, early music, whatever. Due to the constraints placed by the size of the venue the music is generally chamber or small group.
    The admission is a ridiculous €8.
    I enjoy the informality of the venue. I prefer my music (whether it's jazz in JJ's or trad in the Cobblestone) in a small intimate venue - with a bar! I don't like the stuffiness of the Concert Hall.
    I think its the most exciting development in the arts front in recent times. 21st century salon music, as it were!
    Check it out here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭The Agogo

Sounds great....but €8 in? The drink better be cheap!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭tarbolton

Have you seen the prices for gigs these last few years?

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭The Agogo

Indeed I have...scandalous.

Let's just face the fact that Classical music is, and always has been, for the upper classes.

No matter how much I enjoy it, it will always burn a hole in my pocket

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭tarbolton

I was born and have lived most of my life in a working class estate on the northside of Dublin.
    Great art is great art whatever class you come from!

...and anyway let's put things in context. Lady Gaga will cost you €95 (standing!). You can relax on a sofa at Kaleidoscope for €8. Come on! Who's burning holes in pockets?

Advertisement