Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Question about Rent Allowance

• 07-03-2010 9:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭

I'm in a bit of a difficult situation at the moment and was hoping some knowledgeable person might be able to give me some advice.

I recently lost my job. The place i'm living in at the moment is too expensive for me now and i will moving out in less than a week. I was paying €675 per month rent and canot afford it now that i'm unemployed.

I can stay with a friend for a week or two but after that i don't know where i'm going to stay.

Am i entitled to apply for rent allowance or do i need to find a flat first? I'm not well up on the ins and outs of how rent allowance works.

I can afford to pay a months rent and deposit on a flat but now that i'm unemployed i won't be able to pay rent after the first month just living on social welfare.

I never thought i'd find myself in this situation and haven't a clue where to turn for help or if i'm even entitled to any help. Theres a possibility that i could end up homeless if i don't get something sorted out in the next few weeks..

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Go to www.welfare.ie and search for 'rent supplement'
    It'll give you the criteria you need to meet in order to qualify. One of these is that you need to be able to prove you have been renting for 6 months or have your name down on a social housing list

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Stu

Thanks Snubbleste.

I've had a look at the Welfare website and am still a bit confused.

I'm not staying at my current accomodation past next thursday so wouldn't be applying for rent allowance for this apartment. I am on the housing list for the past few years.

I would be applying for rent allowance for a new flat with cheaper rent but what happens if i move into a new flat and then get turned down for rent allowance. I'd have to move out after a month and lose my deposit unless i find a new job in the meantime.

The website says i need to be living in rented accomodation for at least 6 months but i won't be living in rented accomodation from next thursday. A friend is putting me up until i sort a new flat out.

Any other ideas on what i ca do about my situation? Should i just talk to my welfare officer?

You need to find accomodation where the landlord will sign a rent supplement form and where the rent meets the maximum threshold for your area.

If you are on the housing list, the 6 month renting rule does not apply.

Thanks for all the info Snubbleste.

So you are saying that if i find a flat next week for say €450 per month (which is under the threshold) and the landlord accepts me and signs the "Rent Allowance forms", i will be accepted for rent allowace?

There is a means test and the flat needs to be suitable for your needs ie. not a 6 bed house

• Advertisement

To be honest, a studio will do fine. As long as i have a roof over my head. I think i'll pay a visit to my local Welfare officer tomorrow, get the relevant forms from them and let them know i'm looking for a flat.

Thanks for your help Snubbleste, much appreciated. :)

Advertisement