Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small baby

Options
  • 07-03-2010 6:50pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

it looks like our son will be very smal (we have been told that and he is being monitored)l, he is only 3lb 12 oz now at almost 34 weeks and he may be premature too - am doing what I can but it is a huge worry...anyone know where to get basic clothes for a really small baby for starters and tips on premature/very small babies would be greatful. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭sarahlulu

Adams used to do clothes for early babies, and I am almost sure Tesco do too. Will keep my fingers crossed for you, worrying time I'm sure. Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

I saw very tiny clothes for premature babies in Mothercare a while back, I think they go by weight so there were a few different categories and they were pretty tiny. I was 6lb 10oz when I was born and was quite small and petite, had lots of rolled up sleeves for a while :o Best of Luck xx

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

Thanks, we have been told that he may be between 5 and 6 lb...it is a worry as we do not know if he will be in an incubator when he is born.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Well I was full term and that size, my mother had a spectacularly difficult few weeks before I was born (her father in law and her own mother both died suddenly weeks apart), she never eats when she's stressed, I was born with jaundice but was otherwise healthy.

From the posts of yours I've seen you're doing all you can to give the little guy the best start and hopefully that'll help him enough :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Hi Cathymoran, I can't believe you're 34 weeks already!

First of all bear in mind that the scan estimates aren't always accurate. My daughter was estimated as being a lb heavier than she was and my son a lb lighter so I wouldn't count on exact weights .
    My daughter was 4 lbs 12 when she was born at 34 weeks. She had no other problems at the time and was basically just kept in until she reached 5 1/2 lbs and she went for 2 days without tube feeds without any weight loss(which took almost 3 weeks). She was only in an incubator for a day and never needed oxygen. Basically at 34 weeks they're generally considered healthy and just need to put on weight and get the hang of feeding.
    That said, given your other health problems and the fact that you had some fluid issues earlier on I would guess that they will keep an extra special eye on him.
    I wouldn't go crazy buying extra small clothes but I know you can buy tiny baby clothes in boots and mothercare. When mine was still in hospital she was wearing hospital clothes and didn't wear anything of her own until she came home (but do check with your hospital if this is the case) at which point she was ok(ish) in regular new baby clothes. Once the baby comes you'll be amazed at how quickly he grows. I was convinced everything was shrinking in the wash at first.
    In general preemie babies need to be fed more often than full term babies and can have feeding issues. Mine had bad reflux but that isn't inevitable. She was also really prone to chest infections for the first year but again I don't know that was necessarily anything to do with being premature.
    Other than that... I'm not sure what else to say. Babies born from 34 weeks on are pretty much like regular babies only smaller :D
    Oh and the milestones supposedly happen at adjusted age rather than real age so it feels like aaages waiting for things to happen. That said, mine hit some of the milestones at real age and others in between the two.

Anyone I know who reached 37 weeks they had their babies home with them straight away and were considered full term so hopefully you'll get closer to that point.

Best of luck. I'm so delighted and excited for you both :)

• Advertisement

Thanks again, I just feel so bad that I can not give him the extra calories he needs...I am trying so hard...at least they are finally giving me iron so if I am less anemic I may have the ability to eat more, am still anoyed that the hospital took 6 weeks to tell me that my thyroid was underactive...grr.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ebmma

hi Cathy, don't know if that's any help, but my newest little niece was born 4 and a half weeks early and weighed around 5 lb. She didn't need to be in the incubator (just some time under the lamps for jaundice) and is doing well at home. She does need to be woken up for feeds every 2h (my sil is breastfeeding her) because apparently premmies are very good at sleeping through feeds and you just need to keep an eye on that.

best of luck and as was already said scan estimates aren't exact.

Actually, I was sent for a scan to check if my baby is too small (I had a very neat bump :D) and he was estimated 6 lb 11 oz ('small normal' as they said). Well, my waters broke 3 days later and he was born 2 days after that at 7lb 4 oz.

littlebug wrote: »
    Hi Cathymoran, I can't believe you're 34 weeks already!

First of all bear in mind that the scan estimates aren't always accurate. My daughter was estimated as being a lb heavier than she was and my son a lb lighter so I wouldn't count on exact weights .
    My daughter was 4 lbs 12 when she was born at 34 weeks. She had no other problems at the time and was basically just kept in until she reached 5 1/2 lbs and she went for 2 days without tube feeds without any weight loss(which took almost 3 weeks). She was only in an incubator for a day and never needed oxygen. Basically at 34 weeks they're generally considered healthy and just need to put on weight and get the hang of feeding.
    That said, given your other health problems and the fact that you had some fluid issues earlier on I would guess that they will keep an extra special eye on him.
    I wouldn't go crazy buying extra small clothes but I know you can buy tiny baby clothes in boots and mothercare. When mine was still in hospital she was wearing hospital clothes and didn't wear anything of her own until she came home (but do check with your hospital if this is the case) at which point she was ok(ish) in regular new baby clothes. Once the baby comes you'll be amazed at how quickly he grows. I was convinced everything was shrinking in the wash at first.
    In general preemie babies need to be fed more often than full term babies and can have feeding issues. Mine had bad reflux but that isn't inevitable. She was also really prone to chest infections for the first year but again I don't know that was necessarily anything to do with being premature.
    Other than that... I'm not sure what else to say. Babies born from 34 weeks on are pretty much like regular babies only smaller :D
    Oh and the milestones supposedly happen at adjusted age rather than real age so it feels like aaages waiting for things to happen. That said, mine hit some of the milestones at real age and others in between the two.

Anyone I know who reached 37 weeks they had their babies home with them straight away and were considered full term so hopefully you'll get closer to that point.

Best of luck. I'm so delighted and excited for you both :)
    Thanks a million for the reassurance, sorry, we are both really worried about him.

If you go to full term your babs could about 6lb 12oz so not that small at all.
    1/2 a lb a week is the average weight gain from now.

Also, same as above, I've known lots of people with babies 5lb and no bother at all. My cousin's baby was delivered two weeks early as they were extremely concerned about the baby's size and he was 5.5lb and home the next day! He is now 5 weeks old and doing brilliantly.

Try not to worry too much Cathy, you have done so brilliantly so far :)

As for clothes, I think mamas and papas and mothercare do premature baby clothes. Adams did cater for 5lb baby but I think most of their shops have shut already.

Best of luck :)

ebmma wrote: »
    hi Cathy, don't know if that's any help, but my newest little niece was born 4 and a half weeks early and weighed around 5 lb. She didn't need to be in the incubator (just some time under the lamps for jaundice) and is doing well at home. She does need to be woken up for feeds every 2h (my sil is breastfeeding her) because apparently premmies are very good at sleeping through feeds and you just need to keep an eye on that.

best of luck and as was already said scan estimates aren't exact.

Actually, I was sent for a scan to check if my baby is too small (I had a very neat bump :D) and he was estimated 6 lb 11 oz ('small normal' as they said). Well, my waters broke 3 days later and he was born 2 days after that at 7lb 4 oz.
    Thanks, in the end of the day all we care about is that he is ok, his daddy i looking after me well too and is very protevtive of both of us...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 Wooder79

Hi Cathy,

I was born at 42 weeks and I was 5lbs 2oz. I'm a fine strapping lump of a woman now :) My own Daughter was born at 37 wks and was 4lbs 15oz. Not a bother on her now. All will be well with your little man.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭gowayouttadat

I was scanned at every single hospital appointment because my bump was very neat and every time I was told when they measured the bump that it was measuring small for dates.
    I was induced at 37 weeks due to low fluid levels. He was bang on 6lbs. I had bought 10lb babygros and nothing else! I had one 7lb babygro from Next at the time and that's what Jack was put into when he was born. My mom bought a few newborn ones in dunnes, I think they were 7lb6oz babygros and they did him fine at the start. They were huge on him but he grew into them in no time.
    When he was born he had jaundice but that was it. Otherwise he was perfectly healthy. If you saw him now you'd never think he was a smallie!! He's absolutely huge. Eats everything in sight and is a complete hound. I've to go shopping tomorrow to buy him 9-12 month clothes because he's grown out of everything that's 6-9 months even though he's just turned 7 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

Hey Cathy,

My daughter was born at 34 weeks and weighed 3lb 13oz and like you i hadn't a clue where to get any clothes. The SCBU had clothes for all the babies but i liked to get some of my own and when she came out of hospital i left a lot of the clothes there.
    Mothercare, Next, Adams and surprisingly Tesco all have either preemie or early baby clothes, buy some hats also to keep your little one warm, most of the outfits i got had hats included but you can buy them separately.
    I found Huggies premature baby nappies great, they have a little dip on the front of the nappy so the umbilical cord won't get irritated, if your LO is in the SCBU for a while you really don't need to buy them because they will have nappies there.
    Try and resist the temptation to but a whole lot of clothes because small and all as the babies are they grow out of the clothes super fast.

I understand the heartache and worry that you and your OH are feeling, i felt the same when i went into hospital at 31 weeks with pre-eclampsia, by week 34 i was very ill and Sinéad was losing weight so she had to make her entrance. Be rest assures that you and your son will be in the best of hands, don't be afraid to ask questions no matter how stupid you think they are!

Check out this web site for some more info, http://www.irishprematurebabies.com/

Good luck and keep us posted ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭beachbabe

Mammas and Pappas do a prem baby range, but bear in mind he could be light but long.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

beachbabe wrote: »
    Mammas and Pappas do a prem baby range, but bear in mind he could be light but long.

Hi Beachbabe- ours is not going to be long, unfortunately- neither his Mum nor Dad are particularly tall, and baby in turn has abnormally short legs- which is at least in part responsible for very low forecast birth weight. He sure does like kicking his Mum though!

I've been looking at some of the online catalogues, and think that I may have to get my sewing skills up to scratch- his torso, arms and hands are perfectly normal lengths (though he has inheritted the longest fingers I've ever seen, from his Mum).

I guess its normal to worry about our little one, he is our life afterall.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

My son was born at 27 weeks weighing 2lb 1. If I remember correctly we were able to pick up things in mothercare. Also, there are a number of websites that supply them too (Sorry, can't remember URL's, this was 4 years ago) but they were all recommended to us by nurses in the neo-natal unit anyway. (So they could probably help you out too)

smccarrick wrote: »
    I guess its normal to worry about our little one, he is our life afterall.

There would be something wrong if you didn't worry :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

There would be something wrong if you didn't worry :)

Worry is an understatement even.....
    I think we're both petrified.....
    I wish we could just hug our baby, and protect it from anything that the world might throw at it.

smccarrick wrote: »
    Worry is an understatement even.....
    I think we're both petrified.....
    I wish we could just hug our baby, and protect it from anything that the world might throw at it.

Cathy is doing a great job of protecting him for now. It's a very very tough time you're going through but you have gotten so far and are doing so brilliantly. That little guy has had the best possible start to life having you two as parents and don't forget that. He will get his chance to fight off the big bad world himself very soon and I bet he'll be some fighter. You'll be on here in a couple of years posting like the posters above saying "when our little fella was born he was tiny but there's no stopping him now".

You will get there, I know it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭deisemum

My nephew was born just before week 31 in an emergancy situation and weighed 2lbs something 12 years ago. He's now a big lad. All my 8 siblings were born early, I'm the eldest and was born 6 weeks early nearly 46 years ago.

I've yet to meet someone who's had a baby that actually weighed what they were expected to weigh, some have been way off as in 3 or more lbs. difference. I don't know why they tell parents to be what they expect the birth weight when they get it so wrong so many times.

My first lad was 15 days early, second lad was 4 weeks early. I think all my nephews and nieces on my side were early.

Also bear in mind if both parents are on the small side then chances are baby will be on the small side, opposite can be true too. My mother often said you cannot expect rats out of mice.

Try not to worry too much.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

deisemum wrote: »
    My mother often said you cannot expect rats out of mice.

:D lol.

I forgot to say I was born 6 weeks early too. I was always small and skinny as a child but I was healthy... I don't think I was any sicker growing up than any of my full term siblings.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Try NEXT,they do a good range. I brought all new born clothes for my first and none fitted her she was 9lb1oz. so for my second i bought loads of 9lb + and he was 5 weeks prem and 7lb 6oz so had to go to NEXT and get him clothes for a 7lb baby.

Next also does clothes for 5lb babies.

also the same time i had my second my daughters school teacher had hers and he was 5lb 5 oz full term and he is now 4 and flying it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Dunnes do a tiny baby range too.

Cathy and Shane, you two will be the most amazing parents in the world, you already are! Junior will be fine, the doctors get it wrong all the time, I was told Addison would be 7lbs (and they were even worried about her being that small!! that's not small!) and she came out at 6lbs. I was 5.5lbs when I was born full term 23 years ago and I'm no tiny person now ;)

You know we all can't wait to hear of your miracle baby's arrival :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭Swizzles

Cathy/Shane dont worry..I was 6lbs 23 years ago and i was full term...!
    And ya wouldnt know that to look at me now :D:D

Ye will be brilliant parents..Everyone can tell that already!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭HereticPrincess

Hey Cathy

Not to worry, lots of babies born small are just fine.

My little brother was born a month early because there was not enough fluid in my mam's womb to carry him for much longer. He was about 5lbs.

He's 4 now, & not a bother on him :) Best kid ever.

Also, I knew a lady that liked to knit, so she actually knit a few very small cardigans to keep him warm, that's another option.

Hope everything goes well for you, almost there! <3

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭eimsRV

Hi Cathy/Shane,

My little one Alannah (who you met at the lunch a few wks ago) was born at 32wks weighing 4.5lbs. You'd never know to look at her now!

There is a great website recently set up and we've put in tips on buying clothes for prem babies. Take a look, there is also other useful info regarding premature babies as well as a great support network.

Link

From my experience, our little one didn't need clothes early on in the incubator - just nice soft fleece blankets. Everything was washed in non bio first. Then as time went by the things we needed were vests - the ones that velcro along the side and bottom are great as you don't need to try to get them over their heads (available in mothercare), warm cardigans (we bought these in mothercare) and baby gros.

Fingers crossed he stays put for a lil while longer, but it really is incredible how strong these little ones are. Hope you are doing ok.

If you want to pm me about anything pls do,
    eimear

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

CathyMoran wrote: »
    Thanks, we have been told that he may be between 5 and 6 lb...it is a worry as we do not know if he will be in an incubator when he is born.

Hey Cathy, my eldest was 5lbs 8 and a half ounces, she was 6 days over and healthy as a horse!! If she'd been a half ounce lighter she'd have spent the first night in special care but this would only have been a precaution. She came home weighing 5 2 she's 11 now and nearly as tall as me! I'm not sure if this has changed as i'm finding out in 7 years lots has!! the nicest one was they now put the time of birth on the birth certificate!! :D You're doing great you should be proud!! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭janmc

Some great reassurance here - really nice to see. :)
    Best of luck Cathy, and like the others said, 34 weeks is doing really well!

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭beachbabe

Cathy and Shane, I did not realise you knew he had short legs, but it sounds like he knows how to kick them anyway! At this stage, every day he stays in there is a bonus. Thinking of you all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement