Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

know if a girl likes me

Options
  • 07-03-2010 2:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭

what are the signs?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Robin Wren

Eye contact is a good sign.
    Smiling, laughing and I suppose actually talking to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Diabhal_Glas

a little slight touch/ rub against your arm

curling her hair in her finger looking at you

being attentive to what you say

throwing you over her shoulder and carrying you home

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

The problem with this these days that I girl may smile at you and be friendly just as a matter of course. The only way to be sure is to ask her out.

It is no big deal. If she is already talking to you and smiling you at least know that she doesn't think that you are a creep. Just go up and say:
    "Hey fancy going for a drink sometime?"

If you don't drink alcohol then going for a coffee is acceptable too.
    If she says yes then get her phone number and ring her up to confirm details. If she says no then at least you tried and now you know for certain. It really is that easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

There's no absolute rule for this. Any of the signs listed above may just be natural for the girl in question and not a definite sign of attraction.

I know a girl that winks at people instead of giving them a thumbs up or a wave, or some other sign of thanks, acknowledgement... etc. I keep telling her that some guys will assume it's being flirtatious but she says it's just something she has grown up doing and does it subconsciously now.

Some girls also may just be flirtatious in general with everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

For what its worth, whenever I meet someone I really like or am attracted to, I find it very difficult to get the big goofy smile off my face. Its a dead giveaway.

If she smiles back at you a lot, you've a good chance.:)

• Advertisement

L31mr0d wrote: »
    There's no absolute rule for this. Any of the signs listed above may just be natural for the girl in question and not a definite sign of attraction.

This is true, I twirl my hair as a habit and would be fairly attentive to most people who speak to me. I'm also a fairly tactile person.

I *think* one of the things would be if the girl gets clumsy around you, like trips on her words or whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭gonnaplayrugby

thanks ye its kind of a little difficult coz she is in my class in school. tbh i think its a bit weird but i cant help feeling i really like her. im not very like this so she is defo my first real crush. i like her so much that i'd be happy just to be her friend!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Eye contact, flirtily touching you and all that mentioned above = yeah but tbh I still haven't figured it out yet. At the weekend I was chatting with someone I've fancied a while but wouldn't bump into regularly. Thought she was a tough nut to crack before but while we were chatting and drinking she got in real close to me. So close that she may as well have said "put your arm around me", which I did after a while of it.

We kissed while very drunk, got her number, held hands, shared a taxi - following on from this and I've tried to suss her out about meeting up for drinks/cinema/hang out and it leaves me confused all over again. We're both late twenties so I'd like to think she's passed the point of d1cking someone around.

Sometimes there is just no knowing if someone likes you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Giselle wrote: »
    For what its worth, whenever I meet someone I really like or am attracted to, I find it very difficult to get the big goofy smile off my face. Its a dead giveaway.

If she smiles back at you a lot, you've a good chance.:)
    This is true, I twirl my hair as a habit and would be fairly attentive to most people who speak to me. I'm also a fairly tactile person.

I *think* one of the things would be if the girl gets clumsy around you, like trips on her words or whatever.

Men don't read body language as women do, or should I say not a well as women do. Twirling your hair and making goofey smiles mean nothing to us. :o
    OP, go up and ask her. It's the only way you'll ever be sure.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I think I play with my hair all the time, so I wouldn't consider it girl code for "I like you". I smile at people without thinking, and I trip over my words constantly because I'm always scared of saying the wrong things.

I think when someone likes you, they'll remember little things you say in passing, little things that maybe others wouldn't even pick up on. When I like someone, I guess I think about them more. So I'd send a text just to say that I hoped whatever they were doing / going through at the time was ok etc.

Also, if you ever really listen to a conversation between two people, notice how many times each person says "I". People like to talk about themselves. A lot. A conversation is often just two people throwing about sentences relating to themselves. When you find a person who is more willing to listen and not respond with "I, I, I, me, me, me", that is more than likely a person who likes you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

I dont beleave in the hair thing... to me it say im board and figitity.....

I beleave in arrows as it may be called or affection of touching...eye contact....

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Novella wrote: »
    that is more than likely a person who likes you.

I have conversations with you like that. :) (where you might consider me the one sending out those signals). In fact I do like you, but not like that.

I find that unless a woman is blatant I'm f*cked. That's the gods honest truth. One womans signal is another womans friendly so I don't think there's a fixed set of signals.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

OldGoat wrote: »
    Twirling your hair and making goofey smiles mean nothing to us. :o

Not consciously no, but subconsciously we do read a lot of body language.
    OldGoat wrote: »
    OP, go up and ask her. It's the only way you'll ever be sure.

That's bad advice imo. The guy goes to school with her, and they are in the same class. It's like a work relationship, if you get rejected you still have to work with that person daily.

Every time he hears her laughing with her friends that little voice inside him will say "she might be laughing at you". Social life in school is hard enough without everyone knowing you where rejected.

My approach in school was to never ask directly but to get into the same social circle as the girl, and then hang out with her at a house party, getting to know her... etc. Usually worked for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

Now that one is a really cute! :)

Khannie wrote: »
    I have conversations with you like that. :) (where you might consider me the one sending out those signals). In fact I do like you, but not like that.

Hahaha, we're cool! I never thought of you as sending me out signals at all! You do talk about yourself too, Mister! :P:)

So, I guess, after that, I have absolutely NO IDEA how you'll ever know that she likes you! Just tell her that you like her, OP, and see what she says. :)

Hahaha, we're cool! I never thought of you as sending me out signals at all! You do talk about yourself too, Mister! :P:)

:) True indeed, I just meant that saying "I hope you're doing ok" or whatever or having a conversation that might have more of a focus on the other person isn't a sign that someone's into you.

And yes, we're cool. :cool: :D

I wouldn't just come out and say that you like her though OP. That has never ended well for me. :) I think Leimrods advice is sound myself.

Khannie wrote: »
    :) True indeed, I just meant that saying "I hope you're doing ok" or whatever or having a conversation that might have more of a focus on the other person isn't a sign that someone's into you.

And yes, we're cool. :cool: :D

I wouldn't just come out and say that you like her though OP. That has never ended well for me. :) I think Leimrods advice is sound myself.

Well, I didn't mean one conversation! I meant overall, throughout a friendship, a person who shows more interest in you, makes up little excuses to talk to you etc., they probably, maybe, might like you!

But you're the married one here, so you've obviously done something right! :)

But you're the married one here, so you've obviously done something right! :)

Or something very.....VERY....wrong. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

i like her so much that i'd be happy just to be her friend!!!

Trust me, you really wouldn't be. It'll the worst feeling you've ever had actually, being "the friend" when she's at a party with another guy.

I would say to just ask her out, to be confident, and that things will only be awkward or embarrassing if you allow them to be awkward or embarrassing. However, you sound a lot like me when I was in school (21 now), and though I know these things now I know damn well I wouldn't have listened to that advice when I was that bit younger.

So...next time you're in class, try to make eye contact with her across the room. Hold it just a little longer than feels natural (as in, maintain eye contact for a second or two, don't stare her down for 10 minutes like a damn psychopath), smile when you break the eye contact. You'll hopefully be able to tell a lot from how she reacts to this.

Nothing is a sure bet until you actually ask her though.

damn dude you are actually right, sometimes even seeing her joke with other guys makes me feel crap. btw im not obsessive...if i got a no or felt there was no chance then i would glady back away but i think she might like me but i'm not that sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

so what you gonna do dude?

play rugby ;)

i dont no man i mean its difficult. from my perspective i think she likes me, its just a hunch and ive heard she does too but i don't know how true that was since a few things have happened that make me unsure about it.

again like i say im actually good about it, i do like her but i'd move on happily but will always think about her i'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

i say go for it man

old saying - faint heart never won a fair lady. its true!

nothing too serious, not sure what age you are, but just ask her to so something casual if your not sure. whats the worst that can happen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

what are the signs?

When you go to kiss her and she doesn't move away.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Soul Cake Duck

This is my reaction to meeting someone I am attracted to...at the last party I was at, I walked into a room where a guy caught my eye (instant attraction) and at the same time my friend started to introduce me to people and I started to shake my friends hand instead of the person she was introducing me to…then proceeded to wave at them instead. I turn into a mess!

But then the above is not the same for everybody. I agree with the eye contact advice. When you see the girl, make eye contact…you look for that fraction of a second longer than you normally would and look away (smile in a different direction - optional!!!)...talk to friends for a while...look back over later. She is in your class and you see her regularly so I think you should build up an eye contact with her and build flirtation up like that before approaching..to me it is less intrusive and like making a joint decision to approach each other, in a way. You'll be surprised once you look out for body language/signs from women how you'll learn to distinguish between interest and disinterest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

If I like a guy but not sure how much I like him then generally I am quite smiley and chatty around them.

If I really,really like a guy then I ignore them and treat them like I don't really like them at all, when Im sober. Then I get drunk and get very touchy feely with the whole hair flciking thing. I really have to change my mating ritual!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

I was going to give advice on this, but then I saw you mention school. Women are one thing, but girls (young people in general) haven't a clue about how to show attraction without giving it away completely. She could do almost anything thinking it's an obvious sign or she could put her arms around you and spend a night stroking your tight thinking it's all innocent.

I say go for it, theres there scenarios.

1) She into you, and jumps for it
    2) She's not into you, but now that your into her she gives it a go.
    3) She rejects you out straight and you get to experience that rejection isn't the end of the world, thus gaining confidence for the next time.

panda100 wrote: »
    If I like a guy but not sure how much I like him then generally I am quite smiley and chatty around them.

If I really,really like a guy then I ignore them and treat them like I don't really like them at all, when Im sober. Then I get drunk and get very touchy feely with the whole hair flciking thing. I really have to change my mating ritual!!

It's a great mating ritual for attracting clueless mongs who in fairness are probably fine for a quick shag or a two minute relationship but you're always going to be that girl who was really mean. If I had more time I'd go into the psychology of pushing people away when you really want them close, but suffice to say, it's kind a unhealthy.

ye think i might just give up....and believe me im gonna find it tough but shes gone from someone i got on real well with to flat out ignoring me. i think she found out i like her or something

now let school finish quickly so i can forget her

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

ye think i might just give up....and believe me im gonna find it tough but shes gone from someone i got on real well with to flat out ignoring me. i think she found out i like her or something

Dude you're in school (Second level presumably). This is not like a work thing, school will be finished in a few years. Without knowing both of you, nobody here can judge your chances very well (Even though you play rugby, roysh)!

In a few short years these sort of questions become small talk over a 25ml putrid sambucha in some backwards student hole. Make the best of this opportunity, go for it and you won't have any regrets. You'll soon learn that rejection hurts far less than regret.

Post pics lol

D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BumbleB

Dont worry about it, all experiences you have with the opposite sex (whether they work out or not ,are cumulative), you learn from them and it makes you a stronger ,confident person ,you carry the experience to the next girl .The main thing is have fun:)

Advertisement