Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dual boot Vista & Windows 7 If I use Windows Easy Transfer Will it delete Vista Data?

Options
  • 07-03-2010 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,440 ✭✭✭✭

Hi googled this but unable to find an answer, at the moment I'm running Vista but I bought windows 7 and and a new harddrive and have a dual boot setup working, but I haven't migrated my user settings yet, now I now Windows Easy Transfer will do the job but I was wondering will that just copy the data or does it actually move it? i.e. after the transfer will the vista drive still have all the user intact and usable? Also is there a way to transfer programs as well? Any help appreciated thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

just pop in 7 select "upgrade" install, this will keep all settings files programs etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,440 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

BOBBY wrote: »
    just pop in 7 select "upgrade" install, this will keep all settings files programs etc..

Thanks but I don't want to do that as the harddrive with vista on it isn't that fast so I have Windows 7 on a new drive and want to transfer what I can while leaving user data on the vista setup just incase something goes wrong

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

The Easy Transfer client lets you create a migration file with everything you want to transfer across to your new hard drive. Create the file, move it to your new drive, then run the Easy Transfer client in Windows 7 and point it at the file, then let it finish.

Easy Transfer won't copy your installed programs across, though.

Fysh wrote: »
    The Easy Transfer client lets you create a migration file with everything you want to transfer across to your new hard drive. Create the file, move it to your new drive, then run the Easy Transfer client in Windows 7 and point it at the file, then let it finish.

Easy Transfer won't copy your installed programs across, though.

I know but say i run the above it and transfers the files to windows 7 does it move or just takes a copy i.e. will i still have the same data on my vista installation

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

The Easy Transfer tool will NOT CHANGE YOUR VISTA DATA. It creates a new file with all your migration information, and uses this new copy to import your configuration and data into Windows 7.

• Advertisement

Thanks thats what I needed to know

Thanks thats what I needed to know

I use the Easy Transfer tool at work regularly when migrating people to new machines, and it's pretty good. Occasionally it'll have problems if you're going from 32-bit to 64-bit environments but even that's been pretty rare.

The only way in which I think it could be made better would be to include installed programs, and I know why that's not there (and probably never going to be added). Still, it takes one big headache out of upgrading your OS, which is always good.

Advertisement