Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost Jewish tribe in Zimbabwe

Options
  • 07-03-2010 8:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭

When I read this story on the BBC website I had to check the date in case it was already National Atheist Day (1st April).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/8550614.stm

A lost tribe of Jews whose priests' DNA traces their ancestors back to a high priestly line in the Middle East at the time of Moses. They organise themselves as 12 tribes, observe circumcision and Jewish dietary laws, and use the Star of David. They even have a "replica of the Ark" a drum that needs to keep being rebuilt because it explodes in battle! Indiana Jones couldn't make this stuff up. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭monosharp

I seen this before actually on some history channel documentary, its really quite interesting.

What do you think about their claims PDN ? I think I remember them saying on the documentary that Israel (government or Israeli religious authority) doesn't recognise their claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

It all sounds plausible enough- a small group of Jewish travellers hits Africa around 1000 BC, hooks up with locals and practices proto-Judaism and grows to a population of 80,000-ish over 3000 years. Probably the most interesting question is what it can tell us about early Judaism, with the confounding factor that global communications combined with their self-professed Jewish heritage will have probably led them to emulate modern Judaism. Looking at their historical records over the last few hundred years would be really fascinating.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

PDN wrote: »
    in case it was already National Atheist Day (1st April).

wpfZFOyVdf_i-saw-what-you-did-there-4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Pretty cool and seems incontrovertible, considering the genetic roots and the aramaic/hebrew prayers etc.

Just noticed we don't have a Judaism forum!

Advertisement