Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DELL Inspiron 580 has no modem

Options
  • 07-03-2010 12:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭

Hi,
    Was looking thru' the specs of this on Dell's website, and saw there is no modem selectable? Does that mean there is no wireless/means of accessing the 'net?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

Modem is not synonymous with (wireless) network card.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭justforgroups

Ok, excuse my ignorance :D

"modem" to me means the network card - the ports, wireless etc.

I saw other models which offered a wireless option, so was curious about this. There's actually no mention of wireless connectivity on the PC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭Angus Og

I looked at the model and it has a network card which means that you can have a wired connection. If wireless is necessary, you can get a wireless USB adapter. They don't cost much.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Ok, excuse my ignorance :D

"modem" to me means the network card - the ports, wireless etc.
    Naw, in this case, modem would be very specifically "56k modem for connecting directly to the net through a phone line in the old fashioned slow way". USB 'old-fashioned' modems are available and cheap if someone really wants that option.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭justforgroups

sceptre wrote: »
    Naw, in this case, modem would be very specifically "56k modem for connecting directly to the net through a phone line in the old fashioned slow way". USB 'old-fashioned' modems are available and cheap if someone really wants that option.
    Yeah that's the thing - u pay a s$$$ load of money for a computer, the least you'd expect nowadays is for it to come with a wireless modem :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭Angus Og

Exactly. They think wireless is only for laptops. The weird thing is, laptops come with both wired and wireless options. I ended up buying a wireless adapter for my PC for that reason.

Advertisement