Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Under stove flagstone painting

• 06-03-2010 10:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

As part of renovating a traditional cottage, I put one of the original flagstones (taken from the original floor) onto a base of concrete and put my multi-fuel stove on top of the flag. However the grey natural stone finish is hard to keep clean as any fallen ash tends to become dust; and smudges and clouds the colour of the flag; and so is difficult to keep clean.

Is there a finish i can put on the flagstone that will not retain any fallen ash and so be easily maintained? Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭tommycahir

Not sure if you have had an answer on this yet but flagstone will always smudge when items like ash fall on it.

To reduce the amount of "smudging" on the flag it is best to seal it with some natural slate\stone sealer this will reduce the smudging and will also deepen the colur if desired on the flag.

Your local tile store is probably the best place to go for advice on this.

BTW I mean a proper tile store where they sell alot of natural stone\marble\slate not Right Price Tiles. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 tazConnelly

Hi Tommycahir,
    Thanks for the advice.
    Sounds exactly like what i was looking for.
    Cheers!
    Taz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭tommycahir

No Problems, The one thing I did forget to mention was that if is badly smudged there are some cleaners available for Natural stone to strip back the dirt and layers of sealer previously applied.

These can be very useful but I would advise to use them with caution as the majority of them are an acid based solution and could damage the look of the flag if not tested on a small area 1st or if not applied correctly.

Again the local tilestore is the best place for these and advice on how to use them.

Advertisement