Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halo Books

Options
  • 06-03-2010 7:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭

Anyone else read any of them?

I've only read the fall of reach and the flood so far

Reach I loved, i'm normally a slow reader but i flew through it. Odviously, its the prequle to Halo so it filled in a lot of gaps for me anyway

Flood is essentially Halo, in book form, i'm happy i read it but i'd have happily skipped it if i knew before hand

going tom read First Strike next, it takes place during Halo and Halo 2 :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

The 3 Eric Nylund books are great, they detail so much backstory which make playing through the Halo games even more enjoyable.

I would definately reccommend you watch Halo legends after you've read the books, it's a great companion piece and includes characters from the books too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

I know it's old but I just started into the books myself.

Reach was awesome. Finished it recently and I got chills at times visualising the corresponding parts in the game.

The backstory to the MC and the Doc and Keyes was fantastic.

Started the flood now and a bit slow to start (like CE) but picking up.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

kaimera wrote: »
    I know it's old but I just started into the books myself.

Reach was awesome. Finished it recently and I got chills at times visualising the corresponding parts in the game.

The backstory to the MC and the Doc and Keyes was fantastic.

Started the flood now and a bit slow to start (like CE) but picking up.

Has Fall of Reach been re-written to correspond with the game?

Enjoyed it when I read it but kept comparing the two. Nice to see pieces from the book appearing in the new Halo 4 trailer too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

has anyone read any of the "Kilo-5" series of books?

The latest, The Thursday War has just been released.

I'm keen to see the world after the end of the Human-Covenent war but the first one looked poorly reviewed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

I started the Fall of Reach but just couldn't get into it (currently on my ads if anyone wants it ;))

Have the graphic novel in my to read list and looking forward to it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭manti452

I have to say I've read everything bar the two kilo 5 books and enjoyed them all bar the flood. It was the padder book in a 3 book set I got.

Reach/First strike were great for building on the SII mythos. Ghosts of Onyx was a nice twist on seeing what Kurt did next.. the short stories compilations were 50/50 for me quite a few were great (cole, headhunters cortana) others were a bit lacking. Contact Harvest was cool to see early Johnson..

I think they're all worth a look in some way happy to loan some out of anyones interested (I do want them back LOL)

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,154 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I've only read Fall of Reach, i can't remember if it would have required a re-write to fit in with Halo: Reach more though?

I thought they tied in fairly well when I played the game because they followed different characters, but it had been a long time since I read the book.

If you read any other forums (I'm a HBO lurker) they talk a fair bit about some of the updates to Fall Of Reach to clarify certain points but I get the impression these are minor updates.. they don't resolve the retcons that Reach created with things like SIII's on reach and the Autumn on the surface

• Registered Users Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

It's been a while since I read it but isn't the main continuity error that
    Master Chief had already been paired up with Cortana by the time Team Noble were carrying out their mission?

yup, I assume the "fragment" was part of the plot device which then required the Autumn to change position

• Advertisement

I found FoR and then Reach worked.

Played Reach first before reading the book and yea while not exactly a like for like, the book is a great read and the game a brilliant alternative perspective. While the Chief is doing his stuff in the book, Noble team are sort of doing the stuff he doesn't do.

Like the end of the book, he's not on the ground when it goes to ****, but after playing the game it's nice to picture wtf is going on.

imo of course.

Finished "the flood" and not as good I felt.

Keep going so.. first strike next!! ;)

haha. pro. I actually wasn't sure which was next and keep forgetting to check!

I know what I'm doing tonight while she's on her mac! :D

yeah First STrike came with FoR and the flood in a 3 book set so I'd always do those 3 first then go in order:

Ghosts of Onyx (loose impact related to Halo 4)
    Contact Harvest (prequel)
    Cole Protocol (different prequel following spartan II grey team)
    Evolutions

before you dig into the new stuff which is very related to Halo 4

Primordium (forerunner prequel)
    Glasslands (post halo 3)
    Thursday war (post halo 3)

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭MiniNukinfuts

manti452 wrote: »
    yeah First STrike came with FoR and the flood in a 3 book set so I'd always do those 3 first then go in order:

Ghosts of Onyx (loose impact related to Halo 4)
    Contact Harvest (prequel)
    Cole Protocol (different prequel following spartan II grey team)
    Evolutions

before you dig into the new stuff which is very related to Halo 4

Primordium (forerunner prequel)
    Glasslands (post halo 3)
    Thursday war (post halo 3)

Don't forget Cryptum, it's the book before Primordium. The final book in that trilogy is out next year, it's going to be called Silentium.

Advertisement