Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Discovery problem(for now)

Options
  • 05-03-2010 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

The handbrake on my TD5 discovery doesn't work(last job before I sent it for it's NCT) and there is oil leaking onto the handbrake shoes. Anyone have any ideas how to solve the problem??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

Your transfer box rear oil seal is leaking into the drum. For a quick fix for test, remove and clean the the drum with brake cleaner and the shoes as well, it may pass. Long term you need to replace the seal, fairly straightforward to do, and replace the handbrake shoes.

While a transmission brake is superior to a normal handbrake, they fill with oil when the seal goes, ancient Land Rover problem! :rolleyes: Can't happen to mine, got a disc brake fitted ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭baldyshane

Problem sorted as you said. Oil seal in transfer box was gone. Funny really considering it looks like someone replaced everything else(brake shoes/Spring & outer drum). All perfect now so NCT time fingers crossed;);)
    Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

That's good, bit daft previous owner changing all that and not doing seal unless they damaged it in the process. Good luck with the NCT

Advertisement