Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about scripts/sections

Options
  • 05-03-2010 8:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40

Hi,
    Silly question but cant get my head around it. I'm making a site (just for fun on my localhost), trying to learn joomla,php etc.

I downloaded a real estate script (something like daft.ie) and I have made categorys like: House, Semi D, Shops etc. I put ads in those categorys. All is going good.

Heres the question (hope i explain this ok).

I want to have a section in the menu , say Dublin, so when the person clicks that ONLY houses, shops, etc for DUBLIN show up. And so on.

Do i need to download a script for every county? of is there a way of say, having a dublin page with dublin only listings, cork page with cork only listings etc.

Thanks in advance :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

Djdukey wrote: »
    Hi,
    Silly question but cant get my head around it. I'm making a site (just for fun on my localhost), trying to learn joomla,php etc.

I downloaded a real estate script (something like daft.ie) and I have made categorys like: House, Semi D, Shops etc. I put ads in those categorys. All is going good.

Heres the question (hope i explain this ok).

I want to have a section in the menu , say Dublin, so when the person clicks that ONLY houses, shops, etc for DUBLIN show up. And so on.

Do i need to download a script for every county? of is there a way of say, having a dublin page with dublin only listings, cork page with cork only listings etc.

Thanks in advance :D

I think you need to take a step back and understand what the code is doing before attempting to go much further.

Without seeing the code, it's hard to tell you what you need to do. However, if you think of the fundemental basics, you will have a number of "scripts" maybe in different files that talk to a database.

These scripts will "ask" the database for the information they want to display using some sort of database query.

So, if you have a dynamic script that can request an id of your county for example, you will only need one script and certainly won't have to download anymore.

I think you really need to get yourself a book or read up on tutorials before you take the leap - it will make the process much smoother! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Djdukey

Hey,

Thanks for the reply. Yes your right I need to understand it more. Ill look into the basics first I thought maybe it might be something simple enough. :)

Thanks

Advertisement