Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best route to Kildare village from Longford

Options
  • 05-03-2010 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭

Hi folks,

anyone been to kildare village? what's the best route from Longford ... thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭ianwalsh2

I'm driving to Athy every week now which isn't too far from Kildare village, unfortunately there is no 'best' route. The fastest route I always take is to drive to Kinnegad along the N4 and then head towards Edenderry and on to Rathangan. To go to Kildare village take a left in Rathangan. Be warned though the road between Kinnegad and Edenderry is one of the worst I've travelled on. At least 5 or 6 deadly bends which you literally have to crawl around so take it easy! The road then from Edenderry on to Rathangan is a bog road so very bouncy!

A longer journey, but a better road is to go Mullingar, Tullamore, Portarlington then Monasterevin, then up the M7 to Kildare Village. This route should take about 2 - 2.5 hours but I'd recommend it, that road between Kinnegad and Edenderry would put you off driving altogether!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,781 ✭✭✭SeanW

This might not be the best suggestion, since I don't know much about Co. Kildare, but if I had to make the drive (going by Google Maps) I would:
    Get on the M7 towards Dublin, stay on until the last junction on the Motorway. Right off, heading towards Naas. Right again in Naas town, follwing the R407 in the direction of Sallins.
    Follow the R407 to its conclusion in Kilcock, take the M4/N4 onwards to Longford.

This route avoids a lot of driving on non-national roads, you would do most of the journey on Motorway and dual carriageways this way which is a big help particularly if you have a decent engine. I wouldn't really suggest back roads to Tullamore and Portarlington or wherever.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,907 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Thanks Sean but the OP is going the other way.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭offaly1

I travel to kildare village from tullamore every now and again, and go by either going via tullamore=>Geashill=>Cloneygowan=>Portarlington=>Monasterevin=>kildare (kildare village is just on the way inot kildare town) Or Tullamore=>killeigh=>mountmellick=>Portlaoise=>and then take M7 to Kildare.

I dont' know if its any help, but its either way is less than an hour from tullamore...so longford town itself is less than an hour from tullamore... so all in all you woudl be there in approx 2hours;)

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Knit wit

Thanks folks for the replies. I took the road Kinnegad to Edenderry, Rathangan and then Kildare. It's true, the roads are awful ... bog and bumps!
    Pity nobody thought to build a motorway through the middle of the country!
    Thanks again

• Advertisement
Advertisement