Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

boxer allergy

Options
  • 05-03-2010 5:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

hi, just wondering if anyone out there has a boxer with an allergy? im thinking at this stage its an allergy to either pollen/grass/dust mites. ive brought her to the vet and tried various medications, diets etc etc. at the moment i am giving her aloe vera in her water. she is scratching so much she is getting bald patches, and she is a beauty of a dog. the vet doesnt know what else to try (obviously blood tests have been done etc et).
    just wondering if anyone had something similiar with their pet and what they did?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭colsku

try wearing underpants

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Hi Emerald.

Have you ruled out a food allergy? some dogs can be allergic to certain foods, even break out in hot spots (wet excema), due to certain foods. My rottie broke out in a huge hot spot on his face due to Hills Dog food.

What food are you feeding at the moment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

colsku wrote: »
    try wearing underpants
    Infracted - helpful posts or none at all please

OP - I don't have a boxer but my Lhasa had seriously itchy issues for months, we tried anti biotics, and changing food etc. We were going to go down the blood test route but our vet finally found evidence that it was probably fox mange, which we then got both dogs treated for. Not saying that's the issue - but has your vet ruled it out? (would there be foxes near or around your area/where the dog would be?)

Were the blood tests clear for everything?
    It's horrible to see your pet so itchy and obviously distressed and not know what to do. I know my youngest was up all night once or twice from itching. We even pulled up all the evergreens out our back garden incase it was those.

Aren't some boxers prone to skin allergies? some times dogs can be allergic to cleaning products used. It might be a pain in the backside but maybe try process of elimination, by taking out different factors, whether the dogs worse after being outside in the grass/park, or if you clean does the dog seem itchier etc. And maybe even the food?
    Has the vet given you anything for the dog to to ease the itching?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

My lab/collie cross had this problem for the first time (she's 11) last Spring and the vet put it down to eczema due to an allergy to grass or pollen she'd suddenly developed. He prescribed Fuciderm gel for dogs which worked well. Seems to definitely be an allergy to grass or pollen as it dissappeared during the Autumn and winter.

Advertisement