Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Survey on bass fishing in Ireland

Options
  • 05-03-2010 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,684 ✭✭✭

As you are probably aware, there is a proposal to open a commercial Bass fishery in Irish waters. To support our case that this fishery should not open we are collecting data on the value of the Bass angling fishery to the Irish economy.

To take part in the survey, click the link below.

http://www.sea-angling-ireland.org/bulletin%20board/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=26288

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Hi JD
    It's a good idea.
    I filled one in. Best of luck with lobbying against the commercial interests to protect East Coast bass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭uvox

There are a number of issues here:

* I first raised this reintroduction on sea-angling-ireland.org (when it was clear it was coming down the line) the best part of a year ago at a time when I was in direct touch with people in Leinster House. The headsup was dismissed with the standard line about "The MI says...".

* Is this survey wholly endorsed by the members (paid up or otherwise) or committee of sea-angling-ireland.org? Doesn't seem to be.

* Do you think any minister or commercial fishing organisation will take this survey seriously once they've viewed all reports of bass capture on the sea-angling-ireland.org web site? Or indeed seen the carcasses on www.CFB.ie (http://www.cfb.ie/fishing_in_ireland/cow/2006/catchofweek06.htm), or the Irish Times angling pages?

I'll make my own representations on the matter.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

uvox wrote: »
    ..... I'll make my own representations on the matter.

I don't really get the point of the first half of that post, but the highlighted part is a very constructive idea. Making direct representation to politicians is one of the few powers we have left.
    I think I will call my local politicians about it too.
    Maybe other angling forum-ites from Dublin and Wicklow who would like to be able to fish for bass and have a realistic prospect of catching one might consider doing similar.

These fish are only beginning their comeback, and it would be a shame to let the nets whip them all out once again.
    They did it before, and we had virtually no east coast bass for 20 years, so we are in no doubt that that is precisely what will happen if the nets are allowed another bite at the bass cherry.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,684 ✭✭✭jd

There are a number of issues here:

* I first raised this reintroduction on sea-angling-ireland.org (when it was clear it was coming down the line) the best part of a year ago at a time when I was in direct touch with people in Leinster House. The headsup was dismissed with the standard line about "The MI says...".
    Where was this headsup dismissed? I certainly didn't. I have been aware of the lobbying that has been going on re opening a bass fishery for quite a while
    * Is this survey wholly endorsed by the members (paid up or otherwise) or committee of sea-angling-ireland.org? Doesn't seem to be.

I'm not sure what you mean here. The owners of the web site were asked whether we could facilitate a survey and this was agreed.
    * Do you think any minister or commercial fishing organisation will take this survey seriously once they've viewed all reports of bass capture on the sea-angling-ireland.org web site? Or indeed seen the carcasses on www.CFB.ie (http://www.cfb.ie/fishing_in_ireland/cow/2006/catchofweek06.htm), or the Irish Times angling pages?
    I'll make my own representations on the matter.

When compared with the proposed commercial fishery, the number of bass captures recorded on SAI is fairly inconsequential. What is important is the value of the recreational bass fishery to the economy- that is what this survey will hopefully help to quantify

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭uvox

Given that sea-angling-ireland.org is a site that regularly allows posters - including at least one member of the SAI committee - to verbally abuse and deingrate anglers who are actually interested in bass conservation, among them some very fine bass anglers, I'd say it's part of the problem, and not the solution.

As for the survey's assurances about privacy, I'd take it with a grain of salt as I was personally told by a sea-angling-ireland.org site moderator that they routinely looked up and tried to trace IP addresses.

You'd have more credibility if you posted the survey on bendunne.com.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭dbrock

any one interested in bass fishing should get behind this one, and do the survey

Given that sea-angling-ireland.org is a site that regularly allows posters - including at least one member of the SAI committee - to verbally abuse and deingrate anglers who are actually interested in bass conservation, among them some very fine bass anglers, I'd say it's part of the problem, and not the solution.

I'm not quite sure what you are referring to here.

Discussion regarding catch and release of bass can often be quite contentious. The position of the site it is that it is up to each angler whether they retain bass, but they must obey the regulations. How these regulations should be framed is another thing. For example , I'd like to see both a minimum and a maximum size for retention, but that is my personal opinion, not site policy.

If people are being abusive to other posters on the site then it should be reported to the mods/admins.
    If people are being abusive to each other on the beaches I certainly don't condone that at all.

As for the survey's assurances about privacy, I'd take it with a grain of salt as I was personally told by a sea-angling-ireland.org site moderator that they routinely looked up and tried to trace IP addresses.
    Posts on all forums (including for example boards.ie ) log the IP of the poster. If it is suspected that people are using duplicate accounts the IPs are cross referenced. If someone is persistently abusive/disruptive etc we may, after a warning, make a complaint to the ISP(s)/institution(s) allocated the IP addresses of the user.

BTW why not contact the people at http://www.irishbass.org directly - they are co-ordinating the campaign..

jd wrote: »
    As you are probably aware, there is a proposal to open a commercial Bass fishery in Irish waters. To support our case that this fishery should not open we are collecting data on the value of the Bass angling fishery to the Irish economy.

To take part in the survey, click the link below.

http://www.sea-angling-ireland.org/bulletin%20board/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=26288

One point I should clarify, the proposal by the FIF proposes opening a fishery in offshore waters (some of which,however, may be within the Irish economic zone)

Advertisement