Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diswellstown Road traffic calming scheme

Options
  • 05-03-2010 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,500 ✭✭✭

The Diswellstown Road traffic calming scheme (aka speed ramps) is on display and open for submissions until Friday 9 April.

The scheme appears to consist of 12 speed cushions over 1.3km (almost 1 every 100m) and another 2 on the stretch between St Patrick's School and Spar roundabout.
    Each speed cushion will have a small traffic island that narrows each lane by approximately 75cm (from 3.75m to 3m).

The 2.6MB PDF showing the details of the scheme is on the FCC web site.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 pondasher

daymobrew wrote: »
    The Diswellstown Road traffic calming scheme (aka speed ramps) is on display and open for submissions until Friday 9 April.

The scheme appears to consist of 12 speed cushions over 1.3km (almost 1 every 100m) and another 2 on the stretch between St Patrick's School and Spar roundabout.
    Each speed cushion will have a small traffic island that narrows each lane by approximately 75cm (from 3.75m to 3m).

The 2.6MB PDF showing the details of the scheme is on the FCC web site.

Seems like the solution to the problem when the 37 moves it will make the Diswellstown Rd. a lot safer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Theres goes the suspension. I hate ramps but I don't know what else they can do. That road is like a race track at times.

I dunno why these ramps have to be so elaborate. A line of bricks slightly recessed would do.

Is there any where else these ramps are installed. I hope they aren't the ones you can just drive over at speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭tskk

They do look like ramps that you can drive over but the road looks like it is being narrowed just after the ramp so it should slow drivers down especially if another car is coming in the opposite direction.

I dont thing I've seen these types of ramps locally. I hate the road going towards Tesco in Roselawn, outside St Xaviers school. They have narrowed the road at certain sections but no ramps and cars parked along that road make it extra messy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,500 ✭✭✭daymobrew

pondasher wrote: »
    Seems like the solution to the problem when the 37 moves it will make the Diswellstown Rd. a lot safer
    I don't understand what you mean. Are you saying that the ramps will make the road safer or the move of the 37 terminus will make it safer, or both?
    tskk wrote: »
    They do look like ramps that you can drive over but the road looks like it is being narrowed just after the ramp so it should slow drivers down especially if another car is coming in the opposite direction.
    Yeah, they do look like the ones you can drive over at speed.

My concern is the narrowing of the road - if a car overtakes a cyclist just before or at the ramp the car will swing left to avoid the traffic island and potentially strike the cyclist.
    While the off-road cycle tracks are compulsory, this compulsion will be removed by legislation soon at which point you may see more cyclists using the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I think he means they'd have to move the 37 terminus to put the ramps in. Very dangerous terminus at the moment. Criminal they were allowed to put it there. They used to have closer the Riverwood Heath road exit. Which was stupid beyond belief.

I see what you mean about cyclists. I guess the cyclist would have to move out and control the lane.

Cycle lanes on Diswellstown Rd are dysmal. Rippled and bumpy, low hanging trees, and they just end/start with no off/on ramp. Too much pedestrian traffic and dogs on it too. Lots of room for a wide on road track. There should be one running to the Phoenix Park. But thats a different issue.

That said the on pavement track is fine for very young kids considering all the schools around there. Ironic then that theres no cycle lane into the actual schools themselves. As kids get older I guess they should be taught to use the road.

• Advertisement

BostonB wrote: »
    I think he means they'd have to move the 37 terminus to put the ramps in. Very dangerous terminus at the moment. Criminal they were allowed to put it there. They used to have closer the Riverwood Heath road exit. Which was stupid beyond belief.
    It is about to be moved - you can see that a bus lane and 2 bus stops have been painted behind Power City.
    BostonB wrote: »
    That said the on pavement track is fine for very young kids considering all the schools around there. Ironic then that theres no cycle lane into the actual schools themselves.
    I fully support off-road cycle tracks for those that are not comfortable being on the road. As you said, that is a different topic.

http://www.fingalcoco.ie/minutes/meeting_doc.aspx?id=39672
    11 submissions were received about the scheme.

Advertisement