Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is -4 ok for Dog outside?

Options
  • 04-03-2010 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭

I know this was discussed before butwould really appreciate ome clarification.

I have a one year old male GSD and he sleeps outdoors.

During the cold snap after Xmas when it was seriously cold i took him inside for a few weeks at night.

I brush him almost every day and his hair is short coatd not long. Socan some please clarify is it ok for him sleeping outdoors in a kennel with an open door?

I would rather him in but the missus is insistig on him staying outside :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

If you could describe the kennel (what its made up of / what's in it / is it insulated) and where it's located in relation to being out of the wind (if your garden is open or fenced) and if it's on blocks or whatever to keep it from getting damp people might be able to give better advice if they've a better idea.

Obviously if the dog could stay in a utility type room or a cornered off section of a room inside when it's very very cold, it might be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Generally, waiting until it is above 0 is the best time to put a dog out for the night - especially if he is short coated. In recent days the weather has been lovely but nights have been really cold. It would be warmer in the kennel then ourside but still very chilly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

He's in a metal cladded kennel and its on bricks off the ground with a wooden floor and of course he has blankets and warm pet furry carpet too.

Its also sheltered with thick conifer trees around part of it and a wall of a large shod beside it too.

I noticed one morning a few weeks ago when i took him out one morning he felt very cold but haven't noticed that since.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Padjo1981

Keep him till it's a bit warmer I would think, cause it is still pretty nippie at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Sheltered areas seem to be colder at night, perhaps because during the day they aren't getting much direct sunlight, some corners of our house are sheltered and tends to stay icy for longer in the mornings.
    Two of our dogs are in a timber shed partly insulated, with blankets and vet bed, so far no problems.
    If a dog is weathered they should be fine but it's a good idea to check on your pooch perhaps late at night as late as possible and check if his body and paws and ears feel warm and he's not shivering etc.

You could try snuggle safe heat pads but I don't find they last that long in the cold perhaps 5 hours ours just chucked theirs out of their beds.

There are elec. heat pads and chew proof ones you can get which work really well here's the site http://www.petnap.co.uk/acatalog/pet_heat_pads.html#a30

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭PaulB91

due to having four rather large dogs (two pups of six months) I had to get my shed (10 foot by 8) converted to keep them outside at night - having said that i insulated the shed my fixing OSB board across the "walls" and floor on the inside, and the roof with loft insulation between the OSB and original roof, they also have an individual bed with thick fleece blankets, oh and an eleectic heater which comes on for 15 min every hour, they also have their food and water in there now, as i have opened up a hatch to the side for their run which i closed during the night, they seem pretty comfy - almost had to sleep in there a couple of times myself ahem :rolleyes: - so that's where in the dog house comes from

Advertisement