Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wilbur Smith Clive Cussler

Options
  • 04-03-2010 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭

Always see these authors in book shops (loads of titles) and in an effort to read someone/something different what do people think of these authors & what titles would they recommend if any?

Thanks in reply

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

I like Cussler as an easy read, adventure and action, pretty well written, nothing too taxing. But not the recent ones (ie Clive Cussler and Other Author). Sahara is my favourite Cussler book, and is nothing like the movie based on it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

I tried to read Wilbur Smith once and all I can say is keep well away. His characters are cliché ridden, his battle scenes make Andy McNab seem like a writer of great literature, and his villains put Jack the Ripper to shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

When i first started reading ,Wilbur Smith was one of the first Authors i read alot of. Read most of his books with the exception of his egypt series.Liked his books on South Africa and Rhodesia ,the courtney and ballantyne family histories etc.
    At the time i found his books fairly easy to read and informative on african history.Have a copy of of his new book Assegai on the shelves to read...........if i ever get round to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Cussler is pretty entertaining all told. His plots are a bit on the line of James Bond movies, but with an American lead closer to the Indiana Jones intrepid research scientist mould. His writing isn't great (I've read a few paragraphs I was surprised got past an editor), but mostly won't distract from the story.

He has a few quirks I find a bit obnoxious. None of his characters ever swear, which can make dramatic stand-offs with the villain a bit tortured. He also appears in each of his own books in a cameo. The hero will meet an old miner called Clive Cussler who gives him directions or something.

I've only read a bit of one of Smith's books, and gave it up for a bad job. Incredibly slow buildup is something only a very good writer can get away with, and Smith isn't that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭megadodge

I've read a lot of Wilbur Smith down through the years and thorougly enjoy him.

I agree that the characters can be a bit cliched, but the reason I read him is because he simply tells a good story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Both Smith and Cussler are cliched. However, I prefer Smith - in particular his African stuff (as opposed to the Egyptian stuff). He delivers a lot of information and history along with a good adventure story. He's quite old now though.

Cussler, on the other hand, I find very formulaic without being original.

Still though, if you're looking for an entertaining adventure read that isn't too much of a brain-drain, you really can't go wrong with either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭pavb2

Thanks for all responses mixed views on both, personal taste, I suppose.

You're right Dudara it's nice to have a brain-undrain every so often.

So might try one or both authors as a summer holiday read

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I've only read two Wilbur Smith novels, Warlock and The Quest. Not great literature by any means and a bit overdone with the main characters being nothing short of god-like but nevertheless a decent enough read. Not taxing but the story flowed along well enough to have me always read one more chapter than I intended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 cassiusclay

They excel at writing famous five books for adults. If u were sitting in front of a computer and called your main character Dirk Pitt would you not have a little rethink. That being said I still read occasionally. Good trashy holiday pool read.

Advertisement