Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SpringerLink access?

• 04-03-2010 7:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi there,

hope I'm in the right place to ask this. Writing up my undergraduate thesis at the moment and unfortunately the University doesn't have free access to SpringerLink copyrighted journals. I really need a certain paper http://www.springerlink.com/content/g705l11155810544/ from the Journal of Neurocytology which only seems to be available on SpringerLink. If any of you have SpringerLink access would it be possible that I use your login details to obtain this paper or, if you're not comfortable with that, you could access the file in the link and just email me the pdf file (<snip>).

Please please please help out if you can, it would be greatly appreciated!

Janacopolis!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

I don't have access to that journal but even if I did I wouldn't be emailing copyrighted material to randomers on an internet forum.

There are two relatively easy ways for you to get access to this.
    1. Is to fill out a form in your universities library for an interlibrary loan of the article. It usually comes within a week or two and there is usually a nominal fee of 7 EUR
    2. Find out a nearby university that has access to that journal. Get your own library to write a 'letter of introduction' to the other univerities library. If you ask at the desk they will know what you mean. Go to the other university with your letter and they will give you a pass - they usually ask how long you need access for so say a 3 days or a week or something (week is usually max as far as i know). Then you can go in and find the article. For journals you can usually do this on their computers and just print it or download it to a usb key.

You can search the various libraries via the web ahead of time:
    http://www.ucd.ie/library/
    http://www.tcd.ie/Library/

Be warned, the tcd library catalogue search function is God-awful. But they have most things.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,037 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Cant you just contact the corresponding author and ask nicely for a reprint?
    I know the online availibility of Journals has reduced the need to request physical reprints, but I still get the occasional one from researchers who like you dont have access to online journals.

Gaspode wrote: »
    Cant you just contact the corresponding author and ask nicely for a reprint?
    I know the online availibility of Journals has reduced the need to request physical reprints, but I still get the occasional one from researchers who like you dont have access to online journals.

Yes I should have given this as an option also. Thou I find if the paper is more than a couple of years old you tend not to get replies - presumably people have moved jobs/retired/whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Janacopolis

Thanks guys, much appreciated.

Obviously I wouldn't normally think of asking this on a web forum, just that its rather urgent as I'm a little short for time.

Anyway, thanks again for the info.

Thanks guys, much appreciated.

Obviously I wouldn't normally think of asking this on a web forum, just that its rather urgent as I'm a little short for time.

Anyway, thanks again for the info.

Then quickest way is to get a reader ticket and go to other library (nudge nudge or ask a mate who goes there to get it for you)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Hi there,

hope I'm in the right place to ask this. Writing up my undergraduate thesis at the moment and unfortunately the University doesn't have free access to SpringerLink copyrighted journals. I really need a certain paper http://www.springerlink.com/content/g705l11155810544/ from the Journal of Neurocytology which only seems to be available on SpringerLink. If any of you have SpringerLink access would it be possible that I use your login details to obtain this paper or, if you're not comfortable with that, you could access the file in the link and just email me the pdf file (janiglesias@hotmail.com).

Please please please help out if you can, it would be greatly appreciated!

Janacopolis!

Hi Janacopolis

Did you try your college library to see if they have a printed copy of the journal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

I don't have access to that journal but even if I did I wouldn't be emailing copyrighted material

Agreed. We can't really condone this. I will leave the thread open for people to offer you advice as to how you might legitimately access this paper, however, PLEASE do not discuss breaching copyright by sharing the content illegally.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Google the authors
    Find their email addresses
    Email them
    Ask them to send you a copy (many will email you a copy)

Be warned, you should generally only contact the first and last authors of a paper as many of the other authors won't have a copy. The first author is usually the person who did the work, the last author is usually the head of the lab/project. That's for Biological sciences, I believe some Chemistry journals do it differently.

Advertisement