Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vatican usher linked to prostitution

Options
  • 04-03-2010 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2010/0304/breaking52.html

Gay prostitute pimping from inside the Vatican eh?
    Hardly surprising to be honest - the natural urge for sexual gratification was always going to be too much for even religion in my eyes and if anything, this has to be on the minds of those that make the rules when considering letting priests marry - something I think would fix a lot of the things wrong there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Another week, another RC church scandal. Priests should be allowed to marry imo, might solve some of the issues with the scandals, its human nature to want to love and be loved by another human being, celibacy seems to cause more problems than it solves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

krudler wrote: »
    Another week, another RC church scandal. Priests should be allowed to marry imo, might solve some of the issues with the scandals, its human nature to want to love and be loved by another human being, celibacy seems to cause more problems than it solves

Because married men never get involved in sex scandals, do they? :rolleyes:

Neither of the people involved in this case are priests. One of them was an usher and the other is a engineer (and a married one at that).

So, while I see no biblical basis for priestly celibacy, it has nothing to do with this particular scandal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭smokingman

PDN wrote: »
    So, while I see no biblical basis for priestly celibacy, it has nothing to do with this particular scandal.

Was he not pimping for men in the seminary....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

So, while I see no biblical basis for priestly celibacy....
    Really? I thought you knew the bible well. Have you not read 1 Corinthians 7?

EDIT: or Matthew 19:12?

kelly1 wrote: »
    Really? I thought you knew the bible well. Have you not read 1 Corinthians 7?

EDIT: or Matthew 19:12?

Yes, and I see no basis for a separate priesthood there, let alone priestly celibacy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

Yes, and I see no basis for a separate priesthood there, let alone priestly celibacy.
    I was showing that there is biblical support for celibacy, not priesthood. Do you not agree that Jesus and Paul advocated celibacy?

I was showing that there is biblical support for celibacy, not priesthood. Do you not agree that Jesus and Paul advocated celibacy?

In certain cases, yes. If someone believes that God has called them to remain single then I support that decision 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

As there is no support for the priesthood, the celibacy issue is putting the cart before the horse anyway.

That aside though, it was said by Paul that the ministers of congregations should be husbands of only one wife. So Paul, while saying celibacy is good if you want it, has absolutely nothing against ministers being married.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭BennyLava

Don't knock them, they're just making the Vatican more Jesus friendly, wasn't he always hanging out with thieves and whores (if his auto biography is to be believed)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

In certain cases, yes. If someone believes that God has called them to remain single then I support that decision 100%.

Support, yes. A blanket decree, no.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Stephentlig

For the biblical basis on Holy Orders/Priesthood, you can visit www.scripturecatholic.com

Pax Christi
    Stephen <3

Advertisement