Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What to do when you're buying a car as a private deal?

Options
  • 04-03-2010 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭

Like what is the procedure you go with?
    Do you just shake hands, exchange cash and drive away with the car.
    Or do you have to like fill out and sign some sorta "document of sale" thing to make sure you're not get ripped or maybe the seller couldn't later claim the car is still his.

Like how would you buy a private sale car and how do you transfer it onto your name?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

You write your name on the car registration document (log book) and either yuou or the seller sends it off to the Dept of Transport.

I just take the cash, shake hands and do the above....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Assuming the car is ok, and everything checks out with that end, we proceed to the document hand over stage :

Ask the owner for some id to proove its him on the VLC (genuine seller wont mind)
    You fill in VLC and sign it.
    Car owner signs it.
    Ideally both of you go to a post box and put it in (100% sure its gone to shannon then).

In regards to shaking hands, thats up you both :D my favourite is when its a girl and we kiss to seal the deal :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

have u actually sealed the deal with a kiss haha

oh and do a finance check too- I got stung with that before!

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭dirtydiesel

Ask for a receipt with both the seller and your name and address on it, date and time of sale and details of vehicle bought. I always make out 2 receipts,one for me and one for buyer when I sell a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Misticles wrote: »
    have u actually sealed the deal with a kiss haha

oh and do a finance check too- I got stung with that before!

Mywheels.ie says the car is clear to buy.

I don't know if I came across the vehicle's log book though. It has no service history so the service history book is absolutely empty. When I go to check out the vehicle again, for a more proper and thorough check, I'll make sure to check the log book.

So you and the owner just sign the log book, post it and that's it?

• Advertisement

Ask for a receipt with both the seller and your name and address on it, date and time of sale and details of vehicle bought. I always make out 2 receipts,one for me and one for buyer when I sell a car.

Can you do this on any piece of paper or does it have to be some sorta official paper like, all typed and all?

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭dirtydiesel

Can you do this on any piece of paper or does it have to be some sorta official paper like, all typed and all?
    Bring a note pad with you and write out the receipt on the lines of

I_________(Sellersname) of_____________(sellers address) sold vehicle reg number_____________ to___________(your name) of________(your address on) __________ date and time
    Sellers sign__________

Buyers sign__________

Bring a note pad with you and write out the receipt on the lines of

I_________(Sellersname) of_____________(sellers address) sold vehicle reg number_____________ to___________(your name) of________(your address on) __________ date and time
    Sellers sign__________

Buyers sign__________

Thanks.

So hopefully after this I should be safe as in the seller can't claim the vehicle is still his or anything like that...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,239 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Thanks.

So hopefully after this I should be safe as in the seller can't claim the vehicle is still his or anything like that...

The odds are that the seller will be even more keen to get it in your name then you are - i.e. toll charges / speeding fines / parking fines and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Do any of these websites provide info on mileage of a car ? Car I'm looking at doesn't have service history therefore need to clarify somehow that the mileage is genuine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Do any of these websites provide info on mileage of a car ? Car I'm looking at doesn't have service history therefore need to clarify somehow that the mileage is genuine.
    The short answer is if there's no SH then the car almost certainly hasn't been maintained properly and might also be clocked. Unless it's absolutely dirt cheap i'd walk.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

no you would need to check with old NCT/MOT certs to try match the mileage and to make sure it looks correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

gumbo wrote: »
    Ideally both of you go to a post box and put it in (100% sure its gone to shannon then).
    It's actually up to the seller to post the document. And if I'm the seller and I receive a bank draft for the car, I don't post the ownership of the car until the draft is lodged sucessfully in my account, which is usually the next day anyway.
    If anything goes wrong with the draft for what ever reason, the car is still legally yours until you either sort it out with the buyer or report your car stolen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭tinofapples

I've just done the Motorcheck €20 report and it's of no benefit. Can't verify mileage, car has 2 owners incl current one. He told me he bought it from an elderly man in Dublin. It's a 2003 with only 49k miles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭dizzydiesel

How do you transfer the monies?

Using cash is ok for a couple of grand, but what if you are taking bigger amounts?

Advertisement