Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lease renewal rent increase?

Options
  • 04-03-2010 5:01pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 83 ✭✭

Hi everyone :)

Had a little look back through other pages, and can't seem to see any post on this.

I live in a 2 bed place with my boyfriend. Basically our lease is up in August, and we don't want to move. According to the threshold website:

Rent Increases

Landlords can only raise the rent to the open market rate. The landlord may also only raise the rent once in a 12 month period unless there has been a substancial change in the nature of the accommodation.

Had a quick look on daft and other 2 bed places in our area at the price we pay are sh*t or tiny, or both. So I'm worried the landlord will put up the price at the end of the rent so it's in line with the "open market rate".

I'm wondering how this is quantified? presumably we'll have different ideas as to what is a reasonable rate? (btw, I don't think it should be raised at all)

Background: When we first moved in, the flat was on the market for over a month that I know of - from the looks of it, no one had lived here in ages. It was originally priced higher than we now pay, but as it was untenanted for so long we got them down by 75 quid. No alarm - we were broken into recently, and we share a floor with a doctors surgery, so despite it's niceness/spaciousness there are downsides.

Also want my brother to move into our spare room, does this automatically mean he can increase the rent? I wouldn't have thought so, but you know landlords, feckin chancers the lot of them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Haven't heard of anyone getting an increase for quite a bit, most tenants are looking for rent reductions and getting them as landlords would rather have a place rent for a bit less then sit empty for months.

Has the landlord made an indication of looking for a rent increase?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

August is a good bit away yet, I wouldnt worry too much.

Yes the landlord can request a rent increase to the market rent if it's below it, it's well within their rights.

No you don't have to accept it, you can either accept it, negotiate it or move elsewhere.

If you move elsewhere pick somewhere that's a little higher than your price range and negotiate. Might not be so small.

Your brother moving in doesnt mean the rent should increase if you're renting the whole property. Check out the published register on www.prtb.ie to find your property, it should declare the number of bed spaces registered.

And no, all landlords aren't chancers.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭robd

Having an extra person in the property doesn't mean the rent can be automatically put up. You're generally allowed have up to the number of bed spaces of people in the property. Check lease terms as often an occupancy number is quoted which would overrule that.

Market rate is subjective. No official way of measuring it. It's a very grey area.

You've already said that two lesser places are being advertised for same price which would suggest you're currently paying under market rate.

Your description of past un-occupancy is irrelevant to the now.

Up to you to argue case with landlord really. Officially he can put it up. Officially you can move out after giving required notice.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 83 ✭✭eleven

Hmm, I suppose when having read eveyones responses there, what I really wondered is how the market rate is gauged? I think I hoped that there was some sort of official rent increase/decrease ticker that was kept somewhere for such situations!

The last time we were looking, rents were plummeting by the minute, maybe my question should really be: Has the rental market evened out now, or is it still decreasing?

That'd probably give me a more informed idea on what the market is like, rather than just goin on what daft has on offer.

Bit of funny one for me I suppose, because I'm used to the high rents of the past, and also cause I'm a bit of nomad and always left after the lease was up. This time I'm giving up my nomad ways and settling down! Maybe I'm caught in the past with this worry of 'will the rent go up?', maybe it just doesn't happen anymore?

p.s. I actually don't think all landlords are chancers, I was being a bit facetious... but in my experience over the last 8 years or so the honest, fair and friendly ones are very thin on the ground. The ones that are are worth holding onto for sure :)

p.p.s thanks for that link cathooo.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

You could try http://www.irishpropertywatch.com/ and throw your road into a search. It'll show you the increases/decreases in rent on your road that have been on the market, it could give you an idea of what level properties left the market at.

There's no exact rent a property should be at, it all depends on the level of supply and demand really. Tenants seem to be a little more savvy with negotiating rents down but that's mainly because supply is outweighing demand.

If the landlord you have at the moment is reasonable then hopefully you wont have to move at all. If you're happy with your level of rent and think it's below the market value then I wouldnt necessarily mention any increase or decrease. I'm sure your landlord is happy to have a good tenant in place.

Good luck with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Fondu

As a landlord, id be much happier to just let the price as it is or even drop the rent by 50e.Who wants the hassle of trying to get more people into the house,registering tenants and also trying to advertise the property..

As long as your clean and tidy,hassle free,id just let you in the premises for the same price imo.

Advertisement