Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help needed after server install

Options
  • 04-03-2010 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭

My friend had Windows XP Pro installed on a PC. He then tried to install Windows 2000 Server as a dual boot option.

Windows 2000 server installed itself on the disk D, created the dual boot choice, and put itself on as first choice.

It works fine, but when he tries to choose XP, it starts, the line on the bottom of the screen fills up for a few seconds
    and then a blue screen pops up for half a second, and it resets itself
    not enough time to read anything on the blue screen

when he hits F8, it opens the safe mode menu of windows 2000, not XP!
    even if i selected XP.

I checked his PC settings and it seems he has 130MB of free space on the C drive. Id say that's where his problem is.
    How much free space would be needed does anyone know?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

Moved to Windows. Might be better suited here OP.

-Funk

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

The rule for dual boot is to install the oldest OS first and then work your way up to the newest

• Registered Users Posts: 5,873 ✭✭✭JDxtra

humaxf1 wrote: »
    The rule for dual boot is to install the oldest OS first and then work your way up to the newest

Exactly. Either that, or install within a VM.

Sorry OP - sounds messy. If there's no data on the drive, format and try again. But install the 2000 Server Product first!

Oh, why would he want to install 2000 Server by the way? It's end of life and going to be unsupported within the next few months.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

XP repair should sort it out.

also you need a license for server 2000 !

you can use the trial version of server 2008 for up to 240 days for free.

Advertisement