Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Play TV axed finally?

Options
  • 04-03-2010 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭

Just seen TV3's listings for the next 2 weeks - and it seems Play TV is not on from Sat 13 March onwards.

Have TV3 finally come to their senses?
    Glad to have a few films and better entertainment in the night again.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

yay!
    That program was something not to be said here ;)
    Maybe there will be something worth watching on?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,048 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

People probably actually wised up and realised that it was pretty much a scam and that they were never going to get though to the studio. let alone win.\

next thing you know, they¨ll stop watchign the Late Late and voting for Fianna Fail.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

that's good news. Never liked it, thought it cheapened TV3s overall output, and for a channel that has a program about a man who is half a tree, that takes some doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,269 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 55,458 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Wow, must be big news if JP Liz is breaking out the LOLCAT pictures. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭PauloConn

That's the best thing that could have happened. At least now they can add some value by running non stop infomercials for the Ab-King or Samurai chef......

• Registered Users Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

guy from tv3 on radio, at the ned of the day the viewers will dictate whether it stays or goes, as he takes the moral highground

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

I'll miss the redhead with the great hips. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Just curious. I'm not bashing playtv or whatever it's called on ITV stations but I'm just wondering: Are they allowed to call it a programme? Surely it should fall under some kind of Paid Commercial banner. It's not a show in the same sense of even a game show surely? Again, I'm not bashing the show. Just wondering how they are able to put it on the TV guides as a show.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭high heels

Ha ha ha ha ha..

Ya she had great hips!!!! She would be great for the old childbirth :P Only a man from cark would expect a girl with great hips... At least 6 kids!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Dannyboy1987

play tv always reminded me of this haha

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Just curious. I'm not bashing playtv or whatever it's called on ITV stations but I'm just wondering: Are they allowed to call it a programme? Surely it should fall under some kind of Paid Commercial banner. It's not a show in the same sense of even a game show surely? Again, I'm not bashing the show. Just wondering how they are able to put it on the TV guides as a show.

Your right. The EU and Irish regulations state that these types of programming come under Teleshopping/Infomercials.

Over the last year TV3 have had to start to make sure that people realise that it is not a TV3 programme. When it started initially the Continuity Announcer said good night after Tonight with Vincent Browne. Now they have displayed on screen "Commercial Communication" and the number of callers in the last minute, only because people complained to the BAI.

It is put in the TV guides as to allow people know it is on in the same way as Infomercials are also listed in the TV listings.
    guy from tv3 on radio, at the ned of the day the viewers will dictate whether it stays or goes, as he takes the moral highground

When was this? I wouldn't be surprised if it appears on 3e in a few months time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

TV3 have a very odd period after PlayTV closes each night where they broadcast real programmes, but which they never advertise .

I saw Shaun of The Dead showing at about 3.30 am one night, at the moment I see they are burning off episodes of a show called 'Swingtown', amongst others.

These shows must get the lowest ratings of all time. Even the Continuity Announcer doesn't admit that TV3 comes back on air after PlayTV, when he says Goodnight after Vinny Browne.

Just shows that TV3 could be showing some half decent programmes at Midnight if/when they axe PlayTV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

It was always comical the way TV3 disowned Play TV. ;) The continuity announcer never mentioned it when normal programmes ended.

Bond-007 wrote: »
    It was always comical the way TV3 disowned Play TV. ;) The continuity announcer never mentioned it when normal programmes ended.

They should have had the continuity announcer during the VB credits state

Coming up next here on 3 we head straight over to our Budapest studios for our nightly slice of interactive gaming with Play TV, have your phones at the ready.

Or

Vincent will be back tomorrow night at the same time but don't forget your nightly fix of gambling right here on 3 with Play TV live and exclusive from our Budapest studio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

TV3 should have hired the Navan Cinema guy.

'That's all for tonight from TV3, turn over to 3e now. For The Love of God, Don't waste your money on PlayTV.It really is a vile piece of broadcasting, Don't ring in to complain, I have warned you before.'

It has been officially axed:
    TV3 GROUP RELEASE
    IMMEDIATE: Friday 5th March 2010

TV3 ANNOUNCES THAT IT IS NOT RENEWING THE PLAY TV SERVICE

TV3 announces that it is not renewing the Play TV service. We would like to thank Telemedia for their professional service which gave TV3 the revenue to prevent further job cuts at the low point of the recession. The service was very popular with viewers but recently viewership to the service has declined.

TV3 will likely introduce different interactive services to the station subject to viewer demand. Commercial revenues from interactive services such as Play TV are an important source of funding for TV3 since TV3 receives no licence fee income. The revenue is used to fund the constantly increasing output of Irish programming, now accounting for over a third of TV3’s schedule; and has helped TV3 to produce award winning programming.

TV3 has made an excellent start to 2010 with viewer numbers up over 5%, building on the increases achieved in 2009. Neilsen data shows TV3 is the only terrestrial channel viewed in Ireland (including the UK channels) to increase its share in 2010; and 3e has rapidly become one of the top three digital channels in the market.

Ends.

Notes to editor:

PLAY TV commenced in May 2009. The service was an “infomercial” which ran between 12 midnight and 3am. Telemedia, the service provider, broadcasts similar programmes in most European countries.

TV3 won three of the major awards at the recently held IFTA’s: Best News Programme (News at 5.30); Best Factual Programme (Tonight with Vincent Browne); and Best Entertainment Series (The Apprentice)

Please see attached ratings data from Nielsen for January and February 2010, and for the full year 2009.

For further information:
    Maureen Catterson
    TV3 PRESS OFFICE

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

I watched this the other night for the first time. There was a picture of what was quite clearly a crocodile/alligator but it was pixellated, but quite clearly one of these animals.

Prize money is E50.

*Ring ring*

"Hello your through to the studio, whats your answer" - Is it a crocodile??
    "No sorry its not a crocodile"

Que 35minutes of the host begging for people to call in and she cant figure out how nobodys got the right answer despite her only taking a call from one person! So finally she says "ok guys, youre just not getting it, I dont know whats wrong with you tonight so we'll give out a hint"

The hint was "A_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _"

50minutes later they take the second call - and the caller guesses it correctly unsurprisingly enough and wins themselves a whopping E80 for their troubles.

Just unbelieveable. 1.50/a call, they probarbly made a couple of grand off that alone.

Pity its gone :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 55,458 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I love the way they spun that press release into "Yay! Aren't we great?"

Mr E wrote: »
    I love the way they spun that press release into "Yay! Aren't we great?"

As I said on the Play TV thread I had a press release written up just like that but didn't post it, I am so annoyed I didn't I knew exactly how they were going to put it.

Again as I said in the Play TV thread TV3 should have also stated: -

From May 2009 to March 2010 TV3 dedicated 12% of its programming schedule to EU content.

• Advertisement

Thank god that show is gone

Have to wonder what future those presenters have though

None in Ireland I would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Demonique

Hmmm, maybe they could put re-runs old older shows, like Farscape

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

TV3 are a joke, no surprise they trotted out the old TV licence excuse. They can show a program that's sole purpose is to scam people cos they get no licence fee!
    And their new line "The home of award winning television" is comical. If TV3 was a newspaper it would be lower than The Sun

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭blond45

did any of you fone in when it came on first. ??i know of a person who got stung for 60e. he is an idiot anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭jimmyw

I thought that "brainbox" on UTV is a better show than this. At least people win cash on that, and the presenters I have seen are easier on the eye too.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭tipperaryboy

finally someone realised it was a scam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Play TV can eat shit and die for all I care.
    They are basically just shows that prey on people for their money (not that I ever rang one).
    All it does is takes away from other better things that could be on, such as films or proper tv shows.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

I'd never call into these infomercial type shows....you never win, those that do are probably setups or interns working for the company. There have been numerous scams from the BBC to ITV and others over the last few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭KrazeeEyezKilla

jimmyw wrote: »
    I thought that "brainbox" on UTV is a better show than this. At least people win cash on that, and the presenters I have seen are easier on the eye too.

Anytime I saw Brainbox there were calls coming through every couple of minutes and people were at least winning some money. I could at least look at it for a while. Play TV was just complete $hit where nothing ever happened.

Advertisement